Tools needed

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
Jkelly

Tools needed

Post by Jkelly »

OK, so I have finally decided upon a plan! An 11x4ft branch line which combines a station, seperate industry, fiddle yard, village, small valley etc. With Dad having approved the dimensions, I have the green light to proceed. Being a joint project between my Dad and me, I need to know what tools would we need for the baseboard construction. I have worked out how much wood we need exactly. I do want to proceed quickly as I am currently at home from school as the Government has shut all schools for two weeks here in Ireland - a). I want something to do to distract me from study and b). I don't want a situation in which all the shops are shut (like Italy) or supply chains are disrupted before we get a chance to purchase all the tools and materials we need. So really what I am asking is what (power) tools do we need to put together a simple enough baseboard?
Thank you for any advice.
Jonathan
End2end

Re: Tools needed

Post by End2end »

Off the top of my head...
Drill ( + smaller battery / power screwdriver if you need to get into tight spaces)
Jigsaw
A soldering iron is definately useful throughout the hobby

Clamps (I used 600mm long clamps), Saw and tenon saw, although not power tools are really handy.
I've just put my baseboards together and before I had the clamps it was a 2 person job and in some places it was absolutely impossible to get a jigsaw in to cut things due to the jigsaws baseplate being too wide.

Most important of all, and I can't stress this enough when talking about power tools and baseboard building. You'll need.......... a kettle! :lol:
Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Roger (RJ)

Post by Roger (RJ) »

You may find a circular saw more useful than a jigsaw if you need to make long straight cuts, and a straight piece of wood to use as a guide for either type of saw. Even with a guide, a jigsaw can wander off line if you are not careful.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

If you have yet to purchase the wood it may be worth paying a little extra to buy it from somewhere that will cut it for you, particularly any large sheets it makes them easier to transport.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
mahoganydog

Post by mahoganydog »

Mitre saw and a circular/plunge saw with guide rail. Do NOT get a jigsaw, these are the deranged shopping trolley of the power tool world and wander like mad ruining the material you're trying to cut.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

You don’t need any power tools.
A hand saw, self drilling screws, a screwdriver, a pencil, a tape and set square. A long straight edge is handy for drawing lines as well as a spirit level for when you get to standing it on its legs.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

RAF96, tight git, or what, but honest !! Hit almost everything in one.

One should be able to follow a straight drawn line with a good hand saw.
I hate putting screws in without a pilot hole, so a general duty electric drill that everyone should have for their DIY.
A drill needs a set of drill bits, for wood a cheap market set will do.

Now for the more experienced, I could never be without my small fine jig saw, has very thin blades for curves and
suitable for kitchen worktops - no ragged rough finishes .
My 0-1.0 mm pinvice, often used to add pilot holes as well as general modelling work. Again with a set of very fine drills.

Best at first keep it simple.

Geoff T.
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

echo Dad1s comments about a good quality hand saw. I bought a new one last year and the difference is remarkable, I was cutting 1" worktops straight and easy, the old saw took ages and wandered about.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

RAF96, tight git, or what, but honest !! Hit almost everything in one.
Not so - tight git. I have every power tool known to man but I prefer to saw by hand, put screws in by hand, etc. I do find a chop saw cuts accurate square ends nicely though, but involved time setting it up etc etc .

OK - soldering is difficult without power, although I still have a Mox tablet heated iron, which is a tad unwieldy for pcb work.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I still have a Mox tablet heated iron
The last one of those I saw was issued to a newly trained telephone fitter in 196?, I doubt he ever used it for soldering but it did a passable attempt at a one cup brew.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
OaksJunction

Post by OaksJunction »

A few basic tools are useful.
https://oaksjunction.blogspot.com/p/home.html Creating an HO/00 British Layout in Canada, never done one in the last 73 years. It all seems straightforward. what could possibly go wrong.
Jkelly

Post by Jkelly »

Thank you all for your informative responses. After 1 year of faffing, I have FINALLY bought all the wood and tools I need! It is currently all sitting in the garage. In terms of tools, we bought a portable little workbench, an electric saw and an electric screwdriver. We are all ready to go. I might post updates in the personal layouts section of this forum.
Thanks for your help, as always I appreciate it.
Jonathan