Something On Rails Made From Lollypop Sticks And Tea Stirers Challenge Thread.

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Mountain

Something On Rails Made From Lollypop Sticks And Tea Stirers Challenge Thread.

Post by Mountain »

This is just a bit of fun. A thread about making something on rails like a waggon or a carriage etc out of lollypop sticks and tea/coffee stirers.

You can use your own wheels and couplings in your desired scale, but the basic idea is to make as much of it as possible from lollypop sticks and tea stirers.

This is a challenge rather then a competition. It is more about the fun of the building, so why not give it a go?
Jules

Re: Something On Rails Made From Lollypop Sticks And Tea Stirers Challenge Thread.

Post by Jules »

Sounds like a fun idea to me, Mountain! Count me in! As someone who has only just made her first layout, I'm very eager to try scratchbuilding for the first time and using natural and simple mediums, putting something of yourself into what can turn out to be something quite special, from examples I've seen. Can't wait to start :) !
Mountain

Re: Something On Rails Made From Lollypop Sticks And Tea Stirers Challenge Thread.

Post by Mountain »

Nice. I know you are looking at 7mm narrow gauge. Do you want some approximate maximum dimentions for width and height?
Jules

Post by Jules »

Sure. That would be helpful!
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Approximate 45mm wide if one does not take account of guards duckets (Add about 5mm each side extra for duckets if used), and about 64mm from railheight to the normal roof line if one does not take roof fittings or guards lookouts into account.
Waggons can be made tiny or large. Most were small. Take a look at my thread for ideas, or look at sites advertizing Peco or the Smallbrook Studio sites as they may give ideas and dimentions etc. Is a good idea as well as it means the dimentions will be similar to the kits, so if you buy some kits they will all work together well.
Having said that, narrow gauge had lots of odd sizes in the same train (Within reason). So you don't need to be exact. Thinner and smaller, or to the max dimentions. As long as they look right.
Jules

Post by Jules »

Thanks so much, Mountain. Very helpful! Yes, I was basing my measurements on those of Smallbrook Studio's. Looking forward to beginning this challenge, once my bits and pieces have arrived in the post this week.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I've made a start. I am making it up as I go along! So far I am working on the floor. I have had to "Crop" the photos to get them to fit.
I placed four lollypop sticks wide and glued a stirer to the outer two at roughly 90 degrees. The centre two lollypop sticks were then removed. The cross piece is just to hold things together while construction commences. The two lollypop stick gap is the width I need for where the wheels will go. I am soo used to not seeing millimetres on rulers the last few years, that now I have glasses for reading with, I rarely bother to measure. Why measure when you don't have to?
Next, I glued two sides onto the outer of the lollypop sticks...
20200313_214545-1-1.jpg
I think we are looking at the underside of the creation. Guessing how things will pan out is rather fun isn't it. I don't know if it will all work as yet. We shall see.
To anyone who may not know, I am working in 7mm narrow gauge so the scale does help, but anyone else who wants to join us in any scale, feel free!
Jules

Post by Jules »

Looking great, Mountain 8)!

I have a few photos though nothing's entirely finished until tomorrow...

Using ice lolly(paddlepop sticks in Aus lingo :)), tea stirrers, brass nails, Dalpol couplings and wheels bought from Smallbrook Studio online, black thread to tie the coupling onto the carriage, wood glue, trusty Rolson craft knife and a dremmel(for drilling and cutting), this small Puffing Billy-style people carriage, has been made in one afternoon so far, and should hopefully be completed tomorrow. The roof is made from coco pops box cardboard. A whole lot of fun(ie blood, sweat n tears went into her :) but she's worth it) It would be good to use sheets of mahogany as it's strong yet thin, and good detail could be achieved with that ...

***Note the blood on the wagon top(yes, REAL blood, sweat n tears went into her :P!

Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Very nice!
Jules

Post by Jules »

Thanks Mountain.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I see you have chosen 00 gauge. I must say that those buffers look effective.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Next comes a start on the floor. I then removed the stick used just to hold everything in place.
Attachments
20200313_220619-1-1.jpg
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

After using my new mini circular saw attachment, and also my mini sander, I have this.. (One can also use hand tools to do the same job. Having fancy tools just makes little jobs quicker).
20200314_115135-1.jpg
20200314_115111-1.jpg
20200314_115026-1.jpg
20200314_115014-1.jpg
So I now have a useful base to build the rest of my waggon onto. (Can you tell that I am making this up as I go along? :lol: ).
Jules

Post by Jules »

Looking magnifique 8)! Seriously, that is one neat job you’ve done there! Love it! I’ve just finished painting the little carriage. Back later with an update.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

It is what I call "Good enough". :lol: