Make a scale model church

Enter this forum if you wish to help the growth of New Railway Modellers.
1Scotrail

Make a scale model church

Post by 1Scotrail »

Here is how I made a scratch built model church from a photograph I had taken while travelling in the Highlands.
It is a pretty basic structure but check it out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U6uSjwZXgmk
glencairn

Re: Make a scale model church

Post by glencairn »

Lovely little model. Interesting use of bird gravel.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

glencairn wrote:Lovely little model...
Meant to reply to this when first posted but it slipped my mind.

Although I don't model very much in the way of non-railway scenery, there was a thought of finagling a model of the parish church - for which I have had the honour of acting as warden over past years - onto a corner site of the railway. This is a modest parish church, seats 200 tops, (and the Brigade aren't too happy with that) and over a decade ago we had some major construction done. The Congo had some difficulty reading the drawings to appreciate the effect, and knowing my hobby asked for a model. So I built it at 1:50, and produced a near four foot long and half a yard high behemoth. Even if I went for perspective forcing by constructing a model at 1:150, it would still be sufficiently large to rather dominate...
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

The size of even modest buildings can be a surprise when you try to fit them onto your layout. Compare the Dapol (ex Airfix) kits for the half timbered pub and the thatched cottage. Both have doors and windows fairly close to scale but the footprint is almost the same.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Learned that one wth the excellent Prototype models card kit of Little Bytham's goods shed. When assembled it went on my model railway which occupied the garage of my first house, which at 16' by 8' was the source of some envy. It required the loss of a lot of siding capacity in the yard to accomodate it, and it loomed over everything else at about seven inches tall (do I remember the height rightly, anyone who still has one?).
Bufferstop wrote:Compare the Dapol (ex Airfix) kits for the half timbered pub and the thatched cottage. Both have doors and windows fairly close to scale but the footprint is almost the same.
Been in that pub in the 1970s, somewhere near Bosherston in deepest South West Wales. The 'public' had standing room for two as it was the entry porch, and the bar was a fold down flap in the front doorway! (Beer hand tapped from casks in the original living room, and very good too.)
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Prototype models did GWR station kit, forget where, but it was a mirror image of our station building, so I was able to check dimensions against the real thing. It's in no way a large station but it overpowered my platform and I ended up building it with one window bay taken out of the length. I tried Moretonhampstead goods shed, just too darned big, I ended up building one to fit the site using sections from the various ones in the GWR Branch Line Termini book.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

It's quite an art 'scaling' buildings to apply them on a layout.

A late friend built a model of the real LNWR signal box for his authentic location, and in a scenic section near 15 feet long (and for most people using 4mm that would be seen as generous space for a private layout) it was just 'in your face'. He ended up reducing height and width by a third and reproportioning to suit, and it then looked right on the layout, even though it was 'wrong'.

Another acquaintance with whom sadly I no longer have contact, had an exquisite and very much 'everything you see handbuilt' EM layout, representing the North Staffs Railway in about 1910. The urban scene side of the layout (it was in a large attic!) dominated by the factories, chimneys and bottle ovens of the many pottery works all around the railway. He found the best compromise was to make the bottle ovens at front of scene to half size linear dimensions. So they were only an eighth the volume of 'true scale', and they still dominated the scene, quite properly in this case. He forced perspective by reducing still further the dimensions of the pottery works that were further away, it was very effective.