Diesels at Crown Point and Sovereign St.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
glencairn

Re: Diesels at Crown Point and Sovereign St.

Post by glencairn »

captrees wrote: I think we may be breeding the same type of sheep. Perhaps we could swap rams some time?
See my Son regarding the swap. He is behind the crew coach on the crane rounding up some sheep. :)

Negotiation time. Possible buyers negotiating with Charlie Marston on a locomotive.
IMG_1934.JPG
Meanwhile work continues at the yard.
IMG_1936.JPG
IMG_1937.JPG
IMG_1939.JPG
Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Yesterday I managed to have a long train running session.

On Shed.

Class 47 47474 'Sir Rowland Hill'
Class 55 55016 'Gordon Highlander'
Class 52 D1035 'Western Yeoman
IMG_2011.JPG

Class 55 55016 'Gordon Highlander' at Crown Point Junction on its way to Leeds Central for its next turn of duty.

IMG_2012.JPG

Class 47 47593 'Galloway Princess' with a northbound train of oil tankers.
IMG_2013.JPG

Glencairn
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

When the sun shines through the window I get a different picture to which I think I am taking.

A hazy look as Class 27 27037 with a York to Leeds Central local passing Canal Corner.
IMG_2125.JPG
The same train passing in front of Charlie Marston's Yard.
IMG_2126.JPG
Will Matt Summers ever tidy the garden? Probably not. He has been there a couple of years or more watching the trains. This time it is a Class 26 26009 with a Leeds Central to Castleford local train
IMG_2128.JPG
Glencairn
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Is a layout ever finished? With a list if things still do do I suppose the answer is 'No'.
At the moment I just want to run trains. The grandchildren just want to run trains. The running of trains it is.

A long way from home is Inverness based Class 47 47515 on a two carriage local from Leeds Central to York seen here arriving at Roseville Station.
IMG_2148.JPG

Here it is again at the signal and getting right of way.
IMG_2149.JPG

And on its way to York.
IMG_2150.JPG

Just to prove there are things to do. 'Preparing a scene'. A Telephone Engineer with motorcycle and sidecar at a telephone post.
IMG_2189.JPG
Glencairn
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Matt Summers is still in the garden. Will he ever tidy the garden? Maybe not. He still likes to watch trains.
Class 55 55016 'Gordon Highlander' passes on its way to Crown Point Yard. Class 25 25218 is in the Yard behind
IMG_2232.JPG

At the other end of the layout a Class 58 58001 with a train of 'hoppers' from Balm Road Quarry Yard heads north past Wyndham Farm.
IMG_2233.JPG
The afternoon Dewsbury Market Place to Leeds Central DMU is running early, so is held at the signal to Calls Junction whilst the Class 121 Seacroft to Leeds Central has right of way.
IMG_2237.JPG

The late afternoon Leeds central to Wakefield Kirkgate DMU waits at the Junction signal as a Seacroft to Leeds Central Class 121 clears the Section.
IMG_2235.JPG
Glencairn
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

After the Great War the National Filling Station Number 1 at Barnbow, Leeds closed. In the late 1930s a massive rearmament programme began and Barnbow became a Royal Ordnance Factory. After WW2 production of Centurion Mk11 tanks began. R.O.F. Barnbow continued building tanks and other armoured vehicles into Privatisation. The site was closed in 2004 and is now a housing estate.

In our model world it is early 1970s. A goods train passes through Leeds Sovereign Street Station bound for R.O. F. Barnbow.

IMG_2243.JPG

The same train nears the Junction.
IMG_2244.JPG

Class 50s very rarely made it to Leeds, but some did on occasion. (I have a picture of one such time. The joy of research.)

Here Class 47 47402 Gateshead with a two coach Leeds Central to York local waits at the signal, whilst a late Plymouth to Leeds Central train clears the Junction. Class 50 50036 Victorious is in charge.

IMG_2245.JPG

Glencairn
Chops

Post by Chops »

Always something new going on at Crown Street. As always, magnificent views.
Nessie rocks!
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

I do like the atmosphere of this layout and the regular appearance of older locos and rolling stock. I'm trying to work out how the various scenes fit together. Is there a layout plan, or an overall photo showing more of the layout?
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Chops wrote:Always something new going on at Crown Street. As always, magnificent views.
Thanks (once again), Chops.
GeraldH wrote:I do like the atmosphere of this layout and the regular appearance of older locos and rolling stock. I'm trying to work out how the various scenes fit together. Is there a layout plan, or an overall photo showing more of the layout?
Somewhere in the past a plan of the layout can be found, but to keep it all simple here is another.

The layout is 11ft by 8ft approx.

Originally the layout ran from where Clarence Dock is and was the fiddle yard. (The rest of the UK.) The line ran round past Crown Point Yard to Sovereign Street. Another line was added from a junction to run through Roseville Station to The Calls Junction and Sovereign Street. I could not get the line to end at the fiddle yard, so a junction was made, ( space is a premium.)

Then I built the bridge, which can lift off for access to the room. The line over the bridge made a continuous circuit; to the joy of the grandchildren.

I then wanted a harbour. Leeds is well inland, so the only thing that could resemble a harbor was Clarence Dock. The bridge has now become the fiddle yard'.

IMG_4553.JPG
The letters and numbers are businesses etc. around the layout.

The layout operates two timeframes. 1914/1919 steam engines and 1968/1974 ish diesels.

At the moment I am researching the real railway its rise and decline.

I shall post a short history later.

Thanks for your interest.

Glencairn
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

I mention trains running to Leeds Central Station. As the real station closed 1st May 1967 I have taken the liberty of modellers licence and it is still open. It was opened in 1854 as a joint station between the London and North Western Railway, the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, the Great Northern Railway and the North Eastern Railway. It replaced the cramped LNW terminus at Wellington Street, which had opened in 1848 with the line to Dewsbury.

On the model layout trains from Dewsbury Market Place or Wakefield Kirkgate are mainly DMUs and go to Leeds Central

DMUs also leave Central Station and travel to Wetherby and Seacroft passing Roseville School etc. on the way.

Diverted trains from the south can and do pass Crown Point and Sovereign Street before arriving Leeds Central. Hence Class 55s etc. are seen. :D

Diverted trains from Huddersfield and Manchester also use the line. Class 52s are mainly the locos in charge. (I have had a 'soft spot ' for them ever since I was 16 years of age) (Rule number 1 applies)

The odd train from the North is seen diverted on the 'Wetherby Line'

Diesel engines that are seen at Crown Point are refuelled if necessary and go to Central Station OR Balm Road Quarry Sidings (both off stage) for their next turn of duty. Now I have a great turn round of diesel engines which I did not have before.

Because of space restrictions both North and South lines meet at the Junction. Not correct, but what the heck, most model railways are not correct.

All good fun! The grandchildren agree. Yeah!!!

Glencairn
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Youngest grandson was here all last week. At first 'Thomas' was on show.
Then the diesels for his last day.

No timetable running. Just having fun.
IMG_2314.JPG
IMG_2315 (1).JPG
IMG_2316.JPG
Glencairn
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

When the sun shines through the window I get a different picture to which I think I am taking.
Is your camera set to do auto focus, auto exposure , both or neither? It's worth experimenting to see what you get. Life's to short to figure out exposure settings!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Bufferstop wrote:
Is your camera set to do auto focus, auto exposure , both or neither? It's worth experimenting to see what you get. Life's to short to figure out exposure settings!
Just a phone camera, Bufferstop. Nothing flash. I use it for (mainly) taking pictures of the model railway and ships. Not techy minded on cameras, I suppose it is auto focus etc. Just point the camera. See a clear picture and click. Simple. :)

Glencairn
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

Awesome layout !
If you think I'm crazy, you damn right !
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Just a phone camera,
It'll be trying to do auto everything, try moving it around and decide which angle gives the best colouring. That's the beauty of digital cameras you can experiment without having to pay out for processing. This morning I wanted the serial number off the back of the washing machine, I put the camera into selfie mode, held it over the back of the machine like a mirror and clicked away until I got one with the whole number on it.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions