The FELL, crowdfunded, KR models

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Bigmet

Re: The FELL, crowdfunded, KR models

Post by Bigmet »

Bufferstop wrote:...why did they need rods and gear coupling?..
Inexperience would be my leading suggestion.
Bufferstop wrote:...
I'm looking forward to seeing the recreated 10000....
Do you think it will sound very different from an EE type 3? Would have been a lot cheaper to acquire and 'dress up' a withdrawn 37 as a 'lookee-likee' in my opinion.
D605Eagle wrote: The Baby Deltics sounded amazing!... being turbocharged as well as supercharged unlike their bigger brethren which just had the superchargers, the scream was like you said more akin to early jet engines...
In original BR passenger service, mainly on the KX outer suburban turns, you could hear them from a couple of miles away at some locations. At least you could when they were working. (I make up a special train during my steam to diesel transition period of operation in memory of the dreadfulness of some of the traction. Here's a Cravens (105) DMU set that's died, hauled by an L1 that's now failed, to which an NBL type 2 DE (21) was coupled on to get it moving, and when that proved incapable an EE type 2 (23) was added.)

After the ten EE type 2's were 'took away' for works attention, they never really reappeared in service, being confined to freight and used relatively lightly if their visiblity in operation is any guide, essentially only when nothing better was available: there were well proven 37s, Brush 2 in 30 and 31 configuration, and pairs of 20's going spare for freight turns by the time they returned.
D605Eagle wrote:... I never got to hear a Deltic...
Sadly, even though still seen out on the network, the full range of sound effects are not demonstrated. The one I particularly enjoyed needed a good still frosty winter night, and my totally uninsulated bedroom, about a mile from the ECML. I could hear an up fast behind a deltic as it emerged from Welwyn South tunnel onto the viaduct, beating away, then the variable beating from the rundown of one engine somewhere between WGC and Hatfield, then single engine until it rattled away out of hearing. Some small compensation for the loss of the pacific choir, sigh...
Richard08

Re: The FELL, crowdfunded, KR models

Post by Richard08 »

Bigmet wrote:
Bufferstop wrote:...why did they need rods and gear coupling?..
Inexperience would be my leading suggestion.
I think that's probably not true, European designs (e.g. 'Krokodil' and many others) did the same, I would guess load balancing is the reason. Interestingly the KR model appears to have been designed with all driving wheels geared but the outer ones omitted during assembly, relying on the con rods... "Tony- Helm’s Deep Model Railway ‘OO’ Scale" on Youtube shows a bent con rod which looks a lot like it's been overloaded (buy the geometry going all wrong and locking up?).