A 2nd and 3rd under bed layout

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Buelligan

A 2nd and 3rd under bed layout

Post by Buelligan »

Well after my middle son got a Thomas set for Christmas last year, his 2 brothers want a set now too, which means making another 2 boards that slide under the beds. The youngest is only 2, and will be getting a 2nd hand Thomas set for his 3rd birthday, this comes with a track mat, which will be good enough for him considering his age, so no planning required for that, just make the board, stick the mat down and pin the track on top.

But my eldest will be starting from scratch, he's got some engines, coaches and trucks, but hasn't got a controller or any track at all. Ideally he wants a layout so big that it would take up most of his bedroom. As we're still in the process of trying to move house I can't really design anything room specific. Also my wife is convinced it's only a fad for him and he won't use it much so doesn't want it taking up too much room, hence the decision to go for a 3rd underbed layout.

He likes continuous running, not so much into shunting, trying to get 2 loops and enough sidings for his coaches and engines so he doesn't have to take anything off is a bit tricky, I've tried adding in a passing loop to give it a little variety, and also leave enough room for some scenery.

My current thinking is to have a hill over the 2 tracks on the far left, twin width tunnel entrances, then a road bridge going over the passing loop and the road passing up on to the hill. The points in the station aren't ideal, but with some lengths of rod fixed in place, should be able to be operated without moving the platforms, but will have to check clearances as the engines turn on the points. Would prefer to have 2 places to switch between the tracks as their tender engines don't seem to like reversing over points.

Buelligan

Re: A 2nd and 3rd under bed layout

Post by Buelligan »

Well as the saga of the house move continues, I haven't got room to do the layouts for the other kids. So as a quick fix I'm looking for a quick fix, where we can keep all or at least most of their engines in sidings, with a couple of sidings long enough for their coaches. Also want them to all be able to play at the same time. Unfortunately due to the space constraints, the new track will have to be made up of 1st radius curves. I can extend the boards width a little to accommodate another platform (from 110cm to 120cm), but length ways its already as big as it can be (189cm).

I've drawn up a new plan on Railmodeller, but to fit all the sidings in, I've had to have a group coming off another group, so I'd have to wire in a switch, so the power could be turned on and off as required.

Pic below shows the current thinking: