More eBay nonsense...........

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Bufferstop

Re: More eBay nonsense...........

Post by Bufferstop »

A lot of places won't post single lengths of flexi. Too easily damaged in transit. It's a problem in lockdown if you don't have a model shop in your area, but one I'll live with. Having to travel out of area to buy one length of track can be a bind, I tend to do it when I'm travelling in the vicinity of a model shop for some other reason. I have a one metre by 5cm plywood strip which has travelled with me to Manchester on occasions, so that I've returned home with a couple of yards of code 75 taped to it. 75 bends more readily than code 100 and it's easier to rip the rail from the chairs, so I'm extra careful with it.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
lenht1951

Post by lenht1951 »

There must be a reason, love to know the rationale behind it :o :lol: :lol: :lol: and all the rest of his stuff is £9.999.00p

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triang-R422- ... Sw0kpfjfBL
Metr0Land

Post by Metr0Land »

DonB wrote:Anyone fancy a New Measurement Train?
An absolute steal...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293874095876

Edited to add:

What's with the current eBay trend with some sellers of listing their items with a four or five-figure price?
Does anyone know the rationale behind this? I'm completely baffled...
Free listing days. Get your stock listed quickly at some silly price then come back later and adjust it (or not if you forget it).
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

You looked at what he says he has for sale, didn't you! I bet if there was something there that you really wanted and you queried the price, you'd be on the hook. He would know that you wanted it, could work out how much he could get from you and the price would seem reasonable by comparison. I don't like the practise and won't deal with them as a consequence. I suppose he would say that he was saving you the trouble of going looking for one in the first place. It doesn't work if a big part of your enjoyment is the looking.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
TEAMYAKIMA

Post by TEAMYAKIMA »

Don

Judging by his feedback score there is a lot of demand for his scrapyard models. He has 1270 feedbacks in 12 months and so that is at the very least 1270 sales. Remember that not everyone leaves feedback and if someone buys two/three or more iems in one sale and leaves feedback for all of them it only increases the feedback score by one.

So I would say that this person is a very successful ebay seller with a product which is very popular.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Metr0Land wrote:Free listing days. Get your stock listed quickly at some silly price then come back later and adjust it (or not if you forget it).
On this subject, did you know members that you can SCHEDULE your items to start when you want on ebay? It's lower down on the page as your creating your listing.
I often set up sales this way so they start and end when I want rather than as I list them.
This way it gives me time to amend any listings mistakes at leisure rather than rushed as they are going or are 'live'.
Hope it helps :wink:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Buelligan

Post by Buelligan »

DonB wrote:Then there's this seller. Yes, his items are usually quite well executed, but is there really that much demand for scrapyard-condition items?
I quite like the look of some of those, and if they don't go up too much by the end, they're not a bad price.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

DonB wrote:...Same where the seller is obviously parting-out perfectly good locos (usually, but not limited to, Lima) for extra £££. Typical eBay MGBs....
I would see this as a valuable service, rather then money grabbing. I only need a pair of cosmetic bogie frames, or a body, or a motor unit, or a set of wheels. etc. for a repair job or a project; and here's someone that will sell me just that required piece. With manufacturer spares supply often limited on current products, and simply 'no manufacturer supply' for past product such as Lima, Wrenn, H-D, Triang, Mainline, Airfix GMR; the 'breakers' are very helpful indeed.
CasperGriswoldBacon

Post by CasperGriswoldBacon »

Not ebay, but facebook and this could belong in the bargain section for all I know, but how about an entire Triang TT gold plated Merchant Navy and coaches for a grand? Certainly Bling and I've never seen one before

Metr0Land

Post by Metr0Land »

Wow I've never seen one that good before. My late wife used to collect TT and we had a load of rare items at one time. I believe the gold sets were only sold through Kays catalogue.
CasperGriswoldBacon

It's a new one on me. Think the seller said it was one of 450 made and was vacuum plated. Can't imagine there is much gold on it in value to justify £1000 but I guess the rarity and condition will make up for that.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

It’s strictly diehard TT big wallet collectors’ stuff. They are genuinely rare and, in that condition, you could probably name your price.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Post by Eastern »

Interesting one here -here A Hornby Britannia Class Factory Sample (Non Runner) with an interesting story-
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”

East Cheltwell

Charles[/color]
CasperGriswoldBacon

That's not a bad price even with the postage if you can persuade him to send it to the uk. I'd imagine there's some collectors who'd pay a premium to have that in the display cabinet.

Just experienced my own ebay nonsense tonight. Bought 19 2nd hand coaches for 70 pounds a week back with the intention of selling the ones I didn't want. sold 3 tonight for 40 pounds with another 10 to sell :o Since christmas it's gone even more insane than normal.
End2end

Post by End2end »

:lol: :lol: No, Now stop it. :lol: :lol: NO STOP! I'm laughing too hard!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAL-TIMBER- ... Swi5xeGhNr

HEY SOUS!! £10.10 for a few matchsticks.

It must be a joke surely?!
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread