More eBay nonsense...........

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
mahoganydog

More eBay nonsense...........

Post by mahoganydog »

Quite frankly he's nuts. Some of the wagons he has I've bought from other sellers for sub £10 each.

Openly admit he has some that'd I'd like but I'm NOT buying something at a high price that could be remade. There is a Ltd Edition Stevens of Oxford wagon which one seller wants £25 for yet another seller has the same one for £9.50. I could also buy a Hornby version (more than one inc current model) or the Dapol one that is a current model!

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?
End2end

Re: More eBay nonsense...........

Post by End2end »

I think that's called "chancing your arm"

He who dares Rodney ,he who dares
:lol: :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Why don't this idiots buy of meeeeeeeeeeee! I never seem to sell anything when I put stuff on ebay for sillllllly money.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

D605Eagle wrote:Why don't this idiots buy of meeeeeeeeeeee! I never seem to sell anything when I put stuff on ebay for sillllllly money.
I learned long ago that items sell on eBay if they are either as cheap as chips or not available elsewhere. Generally the item will need to be a bargain before the punters lay down their money. A friend and I have spoken for years about carrying out a PhD on the psyche of a typical eBayer. Mostly there seems no commonsense in many of their purchases.

Some years ago I saw an LGB oil tanker sell on auction on eBay for $129.00 with spirited bidding. Before the end of the listing I listed "Buy it Now" two of the same mint condition items for $125.00 inclusive for both ($62.50 each). Even though spirited bidding on the auction listing for a single item I could not even get a watcher for my two items which were less than half the price of the auction end price. Plenty of people viewed my item listing so there was exposure.

Many see these ridiculous prices and when selling they think that their item is worth the same, grossly inflating the market price in peoples' minds. Yesterday, I saw a single packet of ten new Hornby 14.1 mm metal wheels listed on eBay for nearly $70.00 (converted from British pounds) plus $25.00 postage from the UK. That is almost $100.00 for ten wheels ($10.00 an axle). A couple of years ago I was buying these from Hattons for $9.50 a packet including airmail postage.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

whufcfan wrote:You laugh at him, but he's selling them, look at his feedback!
Yes, he is selling them but most are best price offer accepted. Like a major model railway retailer with an eBay outlet, the listing price is inflated expecting the buyer to make an offer.
mjb1961

Post by mjb1961 »

I've just come across the first Dynamometer Car for sale on eBay ,,@£200 inc post ,for those who don't know about these ,they were made by Rapido for Rails of Sheffied ( exclusive model ) and cost £125 ,,I didn't think it would take long before they appear ,,,mjb
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

A bit of nonsense on my part. I have a couple of "OO" items listed on flea bay and even though the items have been listed three times previously and attracted up to twenty watchers each time listed, no one is willing to press the "Buy it Now" button. As the items only have a few days to run I decided to up the selling price to $100,000.00 each for a laugh.

Edit: well I got one bite. I received the following message on flea bay (perhaps one of the twenty or so watchers each time I listed the item) Quote: " Do you really consider $100,000:00 to be a realist(sic) asking price!!?" If he wanted the item for the selling price listed ($68.95) the last three months then he had ample opportunity.

Immediately after I responded to the fleabay question, surprisingly the number of watchers on the item dropped by one. A coincidence or did I actually upset a watcher (tyrekicker)? An old flea bay saying, a buyer in the hand is worth more than twenty watchers in the bush.
mjb1961

Post by mjb1961 »

I browse eBay a lot and come across all sorts including this ,,,,if you search hornby R2886m I'm sure you'll find it ,,the seller describes the engine as excellent condition and well looked after and well maintained,although he states slight damage to the front buffer he mentions nothing about the cab damage ,either he knows nothing or he thinks everyone else knows nothing,,,God only knows what the coaches look like ....mjb
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

I still continue to be amazed at the number of "unscrupulous" experienced eBay sellers who pass off the Hachette Mk1 coaches as a Bachmann product making no reference to the fact that they were cheap magazine knockoffs. One Aussie seller even displays the Hachette coaches with Bachmann boxes in the images. Pure deception.
Chops

Post by Chops »

Well, I got burned the other day. Purchased an Athearn locomotive listed as new, for a trade in the UK, unpowered. I was a bit busy and after glancing at it sent to its new UK home. When it arrived, it was promptly found to be as empty as a pocket, inside. I asked the seller to refund me for his error, but he insisted that shipping weight was spot on for a powered unit and told me to go pound sand.
Nessie rocks!
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

GWR_fan wrote:I still continue to be amazed at the number of "unscrupulous" experienced eBay sellers who pass off the Hachette Mk1 coaches as a Bachmann product making no reference to the fact that they were cheap magazine knockoffs. One Aussie seller even displays the Hachette coaches with Bachmann boxes in the images. Pure deception.
That surprises me because ebay always takes the side of the buyer.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

D605Eagle wrote:
GWR_fan wrote:I still continue to be amazed at the number of "unscrupulous" experienced eBay sellers who pass off the Hachette Mk1 coaches as a Bachmann product making no reference to the fact that they were cheap magazine knockoffs. One Aussie seller even displays the Hachette coaches with Bachmann boxes in the images. Pure deception.
That surprises me because ebay always takes the side of the buyer.
EBay sellers have exploited these coaches since they were released, misrepresenting them. One very experienced seller who really should know better has three listed describing them as "3 DAPOL or similar BR Mk 1 CORRIDOR COACHES in BR Maroon Livery OO Gauge". Another well known eBay seller linked to a retail outlet will generally not divulge that they are cheap Hachette coaches. I have seen the cars listed for more than a genuine Bachmann coach.

Given the degree of misrepresentation I dare say that the general public is ignorant of the car's heritage.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

It is deceptfully wrong to list something claiming that it is something that its not. Those "Cheap" coaches are certainly pretty impressive with flush glaze windows and metal 14mm wheels. I have two left for sale. The only real negative side to me is that they have the close coupling with nem pockets. Some of you love these but I cant say that I am a fan.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Mountain wrote:It is deceptfully wrong to list something claiming that it is something that its not. Those "Cheap" coaches are certainly pretty impressive with flush glaze windows and metal 14mm wheels. I have two left for sale. The only real negative side to me is that they have the close coupling with nem pockets. Some of you love these but I cant say that I am a fan.
No the couplings are a let down, but then bachmann's are far from good! Only seem to work well if you use the sometimes included vac pipes.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I bought a rake of eight Bachmann mk1's when they first came out and while I marvelled at the detail, their running qualities due to the couplings were so dissapointing that I sold them cheap, as I felt guilty to charge anywhere near the price they were worth.