Bachmann class 37

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
aldothenoo

Bachmann class 37

Post by aldothenoo »

Hi guys I have a bachmann class 37 europhoneix and it has a loud screeching noise when running in both directions. I've tried lubricants but sadly to no avail. Can anyone suggest anything . Ive took the body off and had a look and everything looks fine. It runs fine but the noise is incredible. It has DCC sound but you can hardly hear it due to the noise. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you Alan
SRman

Re: Bachmann class 37

Post by SRman »

I haven't experienced this with a Bachmann 37, but the first Hornby 09 exhibited a similar screech, which actually came from the idler gear in the gear tower.

It will require you to remove the 37 body to try to focus on exactly where the sound is coming from (turn off the DCC sound too). Logical places for such a sound are the motor bearings, the bearings at the other ends of the drive shafts where the worm gears and shafts go through the top of the gear tower on each bogie, or possibly in the gears going down the towers. You could also check the axles and electrical pickups (if they are the wiper type) to see if anything there is contributing to the sound (there may possibly be more than one source combining to make the racket).

It's really a process of elimination.
Roger (RJ)

Post by Roger (RJ) »

If it's new, return it to the supplier for replacement or refund. It's faulty.
aldothenoo

Post by aldothenoo »

I've a few bachmann 37s but this thing sounds like it's going to take off. It sounds like when you were a kid and you put paper on the spokes of your bike wheels then peddled faster and faster the noise got louder. I'll have a look under the body and see. I did try this last night but everything is all incased in nowadays. I've read a few stories where bachmann just sent it back to you saying it's running fine I don't think there customer service is very good. Anyway thanks for the feedbacks
Sails

Post by Sails »

Roger (RJ) wrote:If it's new, return it to the supplier for replacement or refund. It's faulty.
Would agree with Roger, best thing is to get a refund or a replacement, its clearly not not working correctly and if you go opening it up and possibly marking it or otherwise voiding any warranty then its not worth it.

Mark
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

aldothenoo wrote:...I've read a few stories where bachmann just sent it back to you saying it's running fine I don't think there customer service is very good...
Don't be put off by such accounts. Your contract is with the retailer in any case: just tell them in your opinion it is not of merchantable quality because the mechanism noise drowns out the sound effects. That's a pretty clear argument of 'it doesn't perform in a way that would meet a reasonable customer's expectations': having paid for the DCC sound option you expect to hear the DCC sound! You will know whether the retailer is worthy of your custom by their response.