Like Father like Son

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Brian2

Like Father like Son

Post by Brian2 »

My MR background.....Built a 00 gauge layout some fifteen years ago, well recorded on this forum. Gave up about ten years ago mainly because I lost my wife, remarried five years ago , at 75, this year mainly at my new wife's insistence took up the hobby again. I have a son who lives a long way away, actually about 2 miles from Gaugemaster. He has never had any hands on experience of modelling of any sort, but he does visit Gaugemaster frequently and has taken a great interest in my current layout. In brief I would like him to get more involved.

At the moment I am thinking of presenting him with a package for his birthday.

He is a bit limited for space so I am thinking 009, mainly because I have a couple of locos and a few carriages. At the moment this is my plan.

To buy the material for a 4'x 2' baseboard....or buy a laser cut one, then use Peo set track with pre wired droppers, points to be manually operated. This is all to keep it simple. Buy a small Gaugemaster controller and a box of goodies for the scenics, ballast etc, even down to rail joiners, if set track needs them....in fact a DIY model railway kit all wrapped up in birthday paper and tied with a blue ribbon.

I have recently seen a wonderful 009 layout set in the First World War which might give readers the sort of track work complexity I am thinking about. Available on Tube but I don't know how to post a link :cry:

Distance precludes me from taking much of an active part.

Any thoughts tips etc welcomed, for instance my choice of gauge and track type......I also have some lovely spare Bavarian locos in HO, but reckon because of space the 009 might be better.
End2end

Re: Like Father like Son

Post by End2end »

What a great gift. :)
The choice of 009 combined with the distance to Gaugemaster will work very well. I was in Gaugemaster a couple of weeks ago and they do cater for many scales that some model shops do not, from Z right upto G.
Also just in passing, near there is also MORRIS MODELS of Lancing.
Gaugemaster is expensive but it's definatly a good shop to see things "in the flesh" as it were.
I saw a lovely small loco there last time at £99 but have seen it cheaper nearly everywhere else since.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I think it's a wonderful idea. And 009 will be just rigjt.
Brian2

Post by Brian2 »

Getting the bits and pieces together for the Birthday Boy. Couldn't resist having a play.......

Oh dear........getting naughty thoughts ;)

FImageuntitled (3 of 4)-Edit by Brian Tompkins, on Flickr