Small double O layout

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Vallon

Small double O layout

Post by Vallon »

Hello,
here is my idea for my new 00 gauge layout. The dimensions are 125cm x 75cm. I will run very short trains (one 0-4-0 and three or four wagons). What do you think about it ? All your opinions and comments will be very appreciated. Thank you.
DOUBLE O #1.jpg
Mountain

Re: Small double O layout

Post by Mountain »

Nice. Sometimes on a small board, a figure of 8 gives a nice pleasing effect.
Vallon

Post by Vallon »

Thanks for your kind comment.
6C

Post by 6C »

Agree this can be a fun plan.

I would be tempted to keep adding wagons - so that the last one is just clearing the crossing as the engine at the front arrives :lol:
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!
UrbanHermit

Post by UrbanHermit »

I had a Hornby diamond crossing on my layout, and i got so sick of locomotives stalling on it that I ripped it up and replaced it with a Peco one. Problem solved.

I had to do a bit of fiddling, because the Peco diamond isn't an exact replacement. Hornby diamonds come in RH and LH varieties, whereas the Peco one is the same size in all directions. But on your plan that would actually be an advantage.
"I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, and I'm here for the hell of it now." (Kirsty MacColl)
kebang

Post by kebang »

I enjoy fiddling with little layouts like this, but I think you are going to need a wider space. An inverted fig 8, needs a little more depth (90cm) but less width (110cm). This one is shown using Peco track.
invert8.png
invert8.png (62.73 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
Vallon

Post by Vallon »

6C wrote:Agree this can be a fun plan.I would be tempted to keep adding wagons - so that the last one is just clearing the crossing as the engine at the front arrives :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Vallon

Post by Vallon »

UrbanHermit wrote:I had a Hornby diamond crossing on my layout, and i got so sick of locomotives stalling on it that I ripped it up and replaced it with a Peco one. Problem solved.
I had to do a bit of fiddling, because the Peco diamond isn't an exact replacement. Hornby diamonds come in RH and LH varieties, whereas the Peco one is the same size in all directions. But on your plan that would actually be an advantage.
Thanks. Two very helpful advices. The Peco ST-250 is a very good idea.
Vallon

Post by Vallon »

kebang wrote:I enjoy fiddling with little layouts like this, but I think you are going to need a wider space. An inverted fig 8, needs a little more depth (90cm) but less width (110cm). This one is shown using Peco track.
A very interesting plan. Thanks.
Vallon

Post by Vallon »

I found this track plan in this video: Sompting & District MRC Exhibition 2019

340.jpg
Dimensions: 75cm x 105cm