A 1944 themed layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Mountain

Re: A 1944 themed layout

Post by Mountain »

heda wrote:My order of decoders arrived and I fitted the first one to a little 0-4-0, resprayed Santa Express, rather than connect wire to wire I soldered directly to the pick ups and motor. Unused wires were snipped and insulated leaving some spare in case I decide to fit lights in the future.
Put it on a short test track and to my surprise and delight it worked, the control and slow running was much better than I had imagined.
But, yes another but, I used an old Lenz controller which turned out to be very hit and miss, whatever comes up on the display bears no resemblance to what is in the manual, by pressing enough buttons I get control of the train but it's by accident rather than intentional, whether it's me or the system I don't know but I think it's destined for ebay and I'll buy something newer and hopefully easier to use.
I'm converted to digital but I shan't be fitting any more decoders until I have a working controller so I can check them as I go.
Dave
Which Lenz controller is it? The handsets from the set 02 (Set 90) handset can be a bit puzzling at first if one has not read the manual. Once one has remembered how they work they are simple to use, but if one does not have the manual or one has forgotton how to use them, they can be puzzling.
The Lenz Compact is straightforward and is a delight to use. A little basic but though it may seem basic, it does more then most of us need as long as we are not into DCC sound, where it can only access three functions. (It can still control DCC sound locos. Just one will only get the lights and the first two sounds).
The Lenz set 01 (Set 100) handset is simple enough to use for basic getting the trains to run. It only gets more complicated if one is wanting to do more complicated things like programming. I prefer using a control knob and this handset is all push button based, but it is easy enough to use.

One thing I should add is that if one has a few things running intne background... As in when one previously used the system and has not cancelled certain things so they continue to run etc, or if one has programmed the system and forgotton what one has done so it can get confusing, the system can be easily reset to start again.

From the sound of it though, if you have what I have, the set 02 (Later used in set 90) handcontrollers (Which I bought as a pair of extra handcontrollers for the set 01) can be confusing if one has not read the manual, so this I would say is the main culprit as a guess.
heda

Post by heda »

I've got the manual but it's not relating to what comes up on the display, I'm not to bothered as although it is undoubtedly a good system I'm only looking to run a couple of trains and like you prefer to control speed using a rotary control. My son in law has got a sophisicated set up and I will get him to adjust any settings on the decoders, I shall just use the humble Hornby Select to run trains, a very basic controller I know but all I want to do is run trains in both directions at various speeds. My real reason for going digital is to improve low speed shunting and secondly the option of fitting a stay alive if there is any stalling.
Rather like the debates between analogue and digital it's a case of what suits the individual.
Today I chipped my fourth loco, all little 0-4-0's, I haven't tested them yet but the conversions were so much easier than I imagined. Soldered wires direct to the pick ups and motor, snipped and insulated the unused wires and stuck the decoder on top of the motor.
Dave
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

It has not been set in a different language somehow has it? :D

Also, something I have been looking into and that is radio control. I do not know if I want to experiment or not. I am in two minds. I want to keep things as simple as possible on the one hand, but radio control does offer the possibility of eliminating dirty track and wheel contact issues. It would be nice to have the ability to run on tarnished or rusty track. The only downside is that it adds an extra element of complication which I was trying to avoid as I want to keep things simple.
heda

Post by heda »

The one thing I did manage to work out was the language, choice of English or German. As much as it is a very good system it is more than I need or want so made the decision to sell it on and go for the Hornby select. If in future I decide I want more from the controller I can easily upgrade. I'll only be running one or two trains at a time, DC is quite adequate but I can't achieve the slow running control and that is the main reason I'm going digital.

I don't know much about radio control other than the toy cars I bought to play with Grandson but I wouldn't think it would be complicated at all, as an experiment you could buy a cheap radio control toy from ebay. Or have a look on Gumtree for cheap second hand stuff. Space might be an issue but if you had the loco with motor and receiver unit you could attach a tender or wagon to house a battery. If this was 'plug in' you could have a couple so you could use one while another is charging.

I've attached a couple of ebay item numbers for you to look at.

Dave

heda

Post by heda »

The Hornby select arrived, I gave the converted loco's a quick test on a short piece of track. I couldn't believe the difference in slow speed control, without changing any settings they will run at a crawl, well worth the cost of conversion. One made a clickety click so I assume I've dislodged something while fitting the chip, should be an easy fix once I pop the body off.

A wagon load of logs made up, I'm sure the oldies here will recognise them but for any youngsters that haven't seen them before they are Rawlplugs, I came across them sorting out my Dad's tools. I can't think of a way of making a realistic load with modern plastic ones !
I think as logs they look authentic enough but apart from the overload of superglue as a load it's not looking right to me, not sure why but I'll have another go at it, just a bit of florist wire glued to some card, a 10 minute job.

Chops

Post by Chops »

I was going to ask what you used; 'rawl plugs." Have to go find me some. Nice pic. Glad to hear the DCC is exceeding expectation.
Nessie rocks!
heda

Post by heda »

I decided to do some work on my other layout. Getting it out from it's home behind the sofa bed in the spare room the depot roof that I had fixed in place with a couple of magnets for easy removal was indeed easily removed ! To easily, it demolished the church tower, being an old Airfix building it is very brittle, tiny bits scattered everywhere, beyond hope of a rebuild. So a new tower is being constructed with mounting card and slaters stone wall. I think (hope) once is rebuilt and weathered I will get away with it.
Not all bad news though, I tried the shelter on the platform, it needs painting but it blends in perfectly.
Tomorrows job is to convert the track from dc to dcc, not a major project I just need to connect the three sets of bus wires together then the enjoyable bit, running trains.

Dave

Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Chops wrote:I was going to ask what you used; 'rawl plugs." Have to go find me some...
These are fibre screw anchors, branded as 'rawlplug' in the UK, long ago superseded by plastic mouldings also sold as 'rawlplug'. I would suggest a search for 'fibre screw anchors' will be best in North America.
heda wrote:... So a new tower is being constructed with mounting card and slaters stone wall. I think (hope) once is rebuilt and weathered I will get away with it.
Or don't finish it, cover in 'tarps', and make the 'St Polystyrianos tower appeal' board with obligatory thermometer; displaying the money that needs to be raised in view of those passing by.
heda

Post by heda »

That's a good idea Bigmet, add some scaffolding but I've done the repair now, just needs the roof repainting and then weathering, I'm planning to print off and stick a clock to the front.
The shelter has had a lick of paint still needs some stickers and people but I won't stick it down yet anyway as it's right at the front so bound to get knocked while I'm working on the landscape. Under the board the bus wires have been linked together making it digital so another couple of jobs completed. Now I can crack on with landscaping and playing trains again now.
Dave

heda

Post by heda »

A little bit more progress after almost a year ! the roof for the depot is finished at last. The back of the building is open and the roof is held in place by two screws for easy removal.
I've also had a go at weathering some wagons, I bought a few cheaply on ebay so if I make a complete mess of them it won't matter to much, I'm still working on them so I'll post some pictures when there is more to show.

The thatched cottage on the front road (thanks to my wife) now has a vegetable garden complete with runner beans.
The repaired church tower has a clock and louvres.
A couple of workmen chatting by the coaling stage and some static grass and trees added.

Apart from that my small fleet of loco's are now all chipped and I'm loving the control that digital gives, slow speed running is way better than I could achieve with analogue.

Dave

Phred

Post by Phred »

The concrete at the front of the depot is very well done. I like the 'tyre marks' on the surface. 8)
heda

Post by heda »

Thanks Phred, I keep adding to the tyre marks to cover up glue and paint drips luckily I can get away with it as it just makes the concrete look more used.
Dave
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Double trouble Dave,
No wonder you need a break too many things on the go at once.

Geoff T
heda

Post by heda »

I've finally found the time to do a bit more work, the painted fields are now static grass, a bit more along the front and some weeds in the ballast and the landscaping will be about finished. I need to get some figures painted but that's going to wait until the days are lighter.
Looking back I started the build in April 2019 so it's taken me almost five years. With another two small layouts under construction I should keep myself occupied for another five.

Dave

captrees

Post by captrees »

Thats a nice size little church. The Metcalfe one is too big. (I might copy that!)