Kato unitrack

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
DYLAN

Kato unitrack

Post by DYLAN »

Hello all

Two questions about Kato unitrack points [ turnouts if you insist ! ] and crossovers.

Am I correct in thinking that if the screw is moved from the as supplied in the 'power routing' location of both the straight and curved live rails to the 'non power routing' location options of both the straight and curved live rails that both the straight AND curved live rails will be permanently live ie powered up?

Secondly - may I combine 2 or more points switching motor leads to the two wire cable single plug at the Kato point switch? In other words activating the switch powers both points simultaneously eg could open the entry to and exit from a passing section using just a single switch?

CHEERS!
Mike Parkes

Re: Kato unitrack

Post by Mike Parkes »

The screw settings are shown on the card packing.
Re the second question yes - you can alternatively chop off the Kato connectors and wire the points to any suitable switch.
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

DYLAN wrote:Secondly - may I combine 2 or more points switching motor leads to the two wire cable single plug at the Kato point switch? In other words activating the switch powers both points simultaneously eg could open the entry to and exit from a passing section using just a single switch?
Hi Dylan,
Yes. The power supply to the Kato controller that the point switches are connected to is not very powerful but it handled two points ok for me. I've since replaced the switches with decoders.
Regards
Rob
Byegad

Post by Byegad »

Just remember that Kato points work on DC, not AC. I've used a 9v battery to power the points on my Xmas under tree layout.