First layout and limited space

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Ferris

Re: First layout and limited space

Post by Ferris »

So I've been thinking and if I can make a foldable table that can sit at the other side of the room I might (provided its neat enough my better half doesn't hate it) be able to create more space but I'm stuck between two options.

First is a small redesign, changing for the current plan to leave via one track and have a loop which would mean loco's leave and returns on the same track therefore being table to enter the yard or station easily. This would also simply the connecting the table as only a single track would need joining up.

The second is to keep both lines and instead just have straight track that splits to build a removable fiddle yard with several sidings, the down side is loco's leaving may need manually turning around and freight trains can only use the lower line as they would need to faff about in the station to use the top.

Currently I'm leaning toward the actual loop (or possibly a run around if a loop isn't accepted by the powers that be) since I only have a shunter and class 60 for the layout right now ........ but collections grow and soon the extra space may be required. Its also possible some combination of the options would work.

I've attached an idea for a single track in and out attached to show my two current options.
Attachments
Plan.jpg
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

If you dont have the green point and the sidings from it, you can concentrate on the station with its two tracks and you can jiggle it all over and have longer trains at the station. You can make the station look as if it is much larger by having the start of a roof which will hide its real size. Mind you. You may not have the space to use at the other end of the layout for longer trains....
Ferris

Post by Ferris »

The left of the layout is against a wall so I can push right upto the wall to make the platforms longer. I'm going for a mainly diesel fleet using DMU's for passengers but I think two car DMU's will be the largest that will reasonably fit so I can delete the station building I had planned and move it to the back extending all platforms to be large enough to take the DMU's. I have most of this track down as I've been collecting bits and bobs second hand and just need two more sets of points to have enough for the single track in and then just the straights and curves to get which are generally fairly cheep.

I am a bit limited to train size at the moment but if I do manage to get them across the room to turn around a lot of this problem will disappear. I am planning to get the base board sorted soon after the new year is done and start laying track but I need to think about the ballast before anything goes down on the board.
Ferris

Post by Ferris »

So I went away and redesigned the station area to simplify and go with the idea to make it look larger than it is, this has also had the benefit of using only points I already have. I've also found some old flexi track which if its in decent condition after an inspection, may be good for doing the station so I won't need to get a lot of additional track to be able to move to the building phase.

The only negative is the lose of a siding and platform, but I'm not likely to require them and if I do need them ....... well I think the layout would have been so busy almost nothing could move.
Attachments
Plan.jpg
Ferris

Post by Ferris »

Hi everyone,

I'm back again to annoy :p ..... anyway I finally got enough free time to sort out an actual base board yay .... the negative is due to things being juggled in the room its ended up a little different size wise to how it was originally, 2000mm x 800mm which is shorter than planned originally but the good news is its wider, enough to fit 1st radius curves so I've redesigned as a oval layout and will have to accept my longer rolling stock won't go around it (although I may try to alter them a little in future).

So this is my new layout, any suggestions? Also I'm wondering about trying to build a metcalfe station, can the width of these be altered as I'd like to put it where I placed a hornby one on the layout with one through platform and one terminus platform.
Attachments
ChooChoo.JPG
End2end

Post by End2end »

I wonder how much bigger using 2nd radius would be? Anyone know?
It could still be a folding layout using 2nd radius just along the longer edge thus....
E2eFolded.jpg
E2eFolded.jpg (30.32 KiB) Viewed 1982 times
I'm just thinking that it would open up a whole lot more of available rolling stock.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Ferris

Post by Ferris »

I have kept a cut off from the baseboard which would add about 400mm of depth but the main problem with this is negotiation with my better half as she isn't keen on the only door to the garden being blocked by what has now become called the Transservatory express.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Just something to consider.

https://youtu.be/kWG4t68wBcU
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Hymirl wrote:Have you tried any planbooks? CJ Freezers 60 plans for small locations has lots of tips on making good use of space. Peco's settrack planbook is also good for inspiration too even if you don't adopt anything straight up from the book!
Be a bit cautious about some of CJF's smaller plans. He worked in the days when Triang's smaller tanks would go round stupid radii and he wasn't above inventing a non existent point or crossing to make a good idea possible. Nothing he planned was impossible it just involved some less than basic skills. A typical fudge was two first radius curves making a nearly 90degree crossing. I suppose if you are going to try modifying set track it's probably the easiest to make!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I've not read back through all the 2018 postings, but a little perplexed by the paranoia regarding
1st radius curves. O.K so very true that the ideal is to have a minimum 2nd radius, but available
space must overrule any preconceptions. JUST take care on locomotive choices.
As to stock on 1st radius as far as I've found all wagons and every coach I've had will run around,
even if the overhangs can look a bit daft (Extreme)
Here is a listing from my own stock of what will & will not run through 1st Radius
https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... 34&t=51816

My St Oval layout is close to 72" long & 36" wide. It was never intended to be crammed with as much
track as the space could take, It was based on a bucolic west country village all about the
scenes. It's on this layout the tests above were made.

Hope you find it food for thought & interesting.

Geoff T.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

That list that you made is excellent. Is good to know that so much will get round those curves. Maybe I or others can add to it?