Peco uncouplers

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Gordon234

Peco uncouplers

Post by Gordon234 »

Hello!
I am looking for a simple but good uncoupling system for my layout, and am investigating a couple of Peco products. What is the difference between the Peco ST-271 uncoupler and the Peco SL-29 uncoupler? Have you found that they each do a consistent job in disengaging hook couplers? ( By the way I have standardized all my rolling stock with Bachmann couplers ) Any advice you can give me would be much appreciated. Thanks!
GeoFF03

Re: Peco uncouplers

Post by GeoFF03 »

One version is designed for Peco track and one is for Hornby, as the sleeper spacing is slightly different. They do work reasonably OK, but as with all similar types, they can cause unintended uncoupling.
Gordon234

Post by Gordon234 »

Thanks for the feedback. As you have implied, no one system is perfect. A manual form of uncoupling I have been using is with an old dental probe. It works reasonably well as long as you are right there to see the hooks lift between the wagons.
boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

The Peco uncouplers work fine, be aware though if you site them on a main running line it is possible that unintended coupling can happen if these is any stutter/uneven running going over them, best keep them in the sidings (what they are intended for) where they work fine.

If you really need a hook/loop uncoupled in a main running line best to use the electrically (or manually) operates version which is in the low position and cannot uncouple unless intended.
Best regards David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you......I may wish to offend again.
Gordon234

Post by Gordon234 »

Thanks for the tip about main line difficulties concerning uncouplers! I will certainly concentrate on the yards instead.
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

I have designed a method for my Inglenook which saves money by using bits and pieces from the scrap box - have a look here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33932&start=465#p654477

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

Yes I saw that, clever.....and cheap :wink:
Best regards David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you......I may wish to offend again.