Need help with a plan-OO gauge

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
deanno

Need help with a plan-OO gauge

Post by deanno »

I have now got a bit more space, around 12x3 feet. I have seen a plan i like in the December issue of Railway Modeller called Neverscreech. I have been trying to do this using Anyrail, but i not having any joy. Could some body have a go for me please using code 100 set track if possible, i need a list of track that is used.
Chops

Re: Need help with a plan-OO gauge

Post by Chops »

Seems to suggest a dog bone with tight return curves. Throw down two cross overs about 5' apart, and with DCC you can have some hopping interesting operations as you operate two trains in opposing directions. The width naturally suggests short wheel bases of short wagons and two axle coaches. What have tried so far?
Nessie rocks!
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

deanno wrote:I have now got a bit more space, around 12x3 feet. I have seen a plan i like in the December issue of Railway Modeller called Neverscreech. I have been trying to do this using Anyrail, but i not having any joy. Could some body have a go for me please using code 100 set track if possible, i need a list of track that is used.
I have the article and it is a bit misleading, the text says it is 1 meter wide, but the plan which has the 1ft grid marked out looks more like 3ft 6in, which would be more likely for a full 180 degree curve, the bare 3 ft would not allow 2nd radius curves.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

3ft wide is just about wide enough for 1st radius curves. Add an extra 6 inches or so and you can use 2nd radius which gives you a little more choice of locomotives and stock you can run. There's nothing at all wrong with 1st radius curves except you do have a few small limitations on what you can run on them. Nearly all older designs of models can negotiate them, but some of the modern models will not. You could use both first and second radius with a slightly wider board where you then have the best of both worlds.
I do agree with earlier comments about using a dogbone design. The centre of the layout need not be so wide. Easier to clean track etc. My last layout was an L shape dog bone design and it was great.
You may not at the moment understand my next comment and that is that I actually find flexible track easier on a larger layout then sectional track as sectional track needs the geometry worked out to get the track plan to work. Flexible track is layed where you want it to go and you just cut it to length with track cutting shears. It is also cheaper.
Now to get the very best of both worlds, use sectional track for the curves at either end of the layout and at the straight sections and with smaller moee gentler curves use flexible track.
I am not saying that you must use flexible track (Use code 100 if you want to mix flexible and sectional track). I am just saying that it is cheaper, and once you get the hang of it, it is easier when the track plan gets a little more complicated.

Whichever way you decide, enjoy. If you can, 3'6" wide at the ends where you have a 180 degree curve will make things easier. 3ft will just about work, as I've done it myself, but it is restricting.
deanno

Post by deanno »

Thanks for the replies, nearly all my stock is at least 40 years old and is HO gauge. It is made by Lima, so all of it will run on 1st radius curves.
deanno

Post by deanno »

Well seem to have got some where, only have the free version and have used my 50 pieces. Is there any problems with the plan so far
Untitled.png
Montfort

Post by Montfort »

Well done. A very interesting track plan.
Back on the track !
Chris
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

It looks good. As long as trains dont collide where the bottom sidings are close to track below. It looks a little too close. The rest of the idea looks excellent.
luckymucklebackit

What is your maximum board size, if it is 3ft it doesn't fit. First rule of layout design is set your board size and make everything fit with decent clearance between the edge of the board and the track, second, try and follow prototype practise, the diamond crossing is unnecessary and should be avoided.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I have had a 3ft wide board in the past that I made for kiddies, and 1st radius does fit as long as you dont have it against a wall. Against a wall and one needs an extra inch or two. The old Hornby first radius trainsets used to say "Circle of track. Space required. 36" x 36"".
luckymucklebackit

Mountain wrote:I have had a 3ft wide board in the past that I made for kiddies, and 1st radius does fit as long as you dont have it against a wall. Against a wall and one needs an extra inch or two. The old Hornby first radius trainsets used to say "Circle of track. Space required. 36" x 36"".
So what radius do you suggest using where there are two tracks as shown on the left half of the layout, if the inside radius is 1st, then the next track must be 2nd, which doesn't fit, please engage brain before giving advice
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

luckymucklebackit wrote:
Mountain wrote:I have had a 3ft wide board in the past that I made for kiddies, and 1st radius does fit as long as you dont have it against a wall. Against a wall and one needs an extra inch or two. The old Hornby first radius trainsets used to say "Circle of track. Space required. 36" x 36"".
So what radius do you suggest using where there are two tracks as shown on the left half of the layout, if the inside radius is 1st, then the next track must be 2nd, which doesn't fit, please engage brain before giving advice
Ah. I see what you mean. Oops. Where's the embarissed smiley. :lol:
Chops

Post by Chops »

Every now and then I come across a track plan and think, that is the bomb. I want to do that. This is one of those track plans. Regardless of the dimensions, and if one were able to squeeze and extra inch or two with its width, this is darn brilliant. Having the interconnection of track will presume a great deal of operational interest. The "fiddle yard lite", in the center, is nicely aligned so that nothing really has to go to much in the horizontal to get to where it's going, which will add much to reliability.
Nessie rocks!
deanno

Post by deanno »

luckymucklebackit wrote:What is your maximum board size, if it is 3ft it doesn't fit. First rule of layout design is set your board size and make everything fit with decent clearance between the edge of the board and the track, second, try and follow prototype practise, the diamond crossing is unnecessary and should be avoided.

Jim
I can go up to 5' but didn't want to, so I have another 6" easily. What should I do in place of the diamond crossing
luckymucklebackit

Just run the two tracks in parallel, gives you a longer loop line.

Jim