Transferring a baseboard....

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
Jkelly

Transferring a baseboard....

Post by Jkelly »

Since the dawn of Millville, my model railway, there have always been issues with the baseboards. Basically, well, erm, the plywood top lies on a table. Yup. A 2 inch thick solid oak table. The creation of Millville coincided with the purchase of a new kitchen table. Despite me trying to persuade the parents to allow me to build with a proper baseboards, I was told to use the old table for various reasons. Anyway, the damage is done. Track and nearly completed scenery has been built on the plywood baseboard.
Due to the fact that there lies an impenetrable table beneath the model, I haven't been able to add point motors, controllable signals, lighting and other stuff that I have always wanted, including a red brick viaduct cutting over a valley. Anyway. What I was contemplating was building four-six frames/trestle type supports. Then, slowly begin to slide the baseboard (with loose items removed) over the prepared frames. Hammer in four nails per frame to attach. Next, slide the next corner off the table and nail in third support and then do the last corner. Remove table and use new supports for the future.
Now I know this is an INCREDIBLY risky procedure but something that would allow me to add point motors etc.
Has anyone ever been mad enough to perform this procedure before? Just to let you know, I'm not seriously contemplating this, the thought just came into my mind when playing with the trains. Thanks
Bufferstop

Re: Transferring a baseboard....

Post by Bufferstop »

Let's have a look at how it might go. First off is it a single sheet of plywood? If it is build your new supporting frame and make it the same height as the table and the same dimensions your baseboard. You can plan any cross supports to avoid the areas where your points are. Clamp the new support to the table frame and slide the baseboard across. As for mailing it down, it might be less risky to screw it down into pre drilled holes. I suppose the first thing to do is measure up and see if there's room to do it, you might need to move some other furniture to get enough space to do the job.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

That would be my approach also...

Build a sturdy perimeter frame on enough legs (my 6’x4’ board is on castors from Ikea) with suitable cross bracing (both laterally and longitudingly depending upon board size) spaced as stated to avoid points, then slide the existing board across. It is presumed the underside of the existing board has no bits sticking out, wires, wood, etc. and that there is room in the room for both old and new side by side to allow the transfer.

Screws are always better than nails as belting in the latter will likely disturb your pre-existing scenery.

Depending upon the thickness of your existing board you may need more or less supports.

Rob
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
HarryR

Post by HarryR »

Jkelly wrote:Since the dawn of Millville, my model railway, there have always been issues with the baseboards. Basically, well, erm, the plywood top lies on a table. Yup. A 2 inch thick solid oak table. The creation of Millville coincided with the purchase of a new kitchen table. Despite me trying to persuade the parents to allow me to build with a proper baseboards, I was told to use the old table for various reasons. Anyway, the damage is done. Track and nearly completed scenery has been built on the plywood baseboard.
Due to the fact that there lies an impenetrable table beneath the model, I haven't been able to add point motors, controllable signals, lighting and other stuff that I have always wanted, including a red brick viaduct cutting over a valley. Anyway. What I was contemplating was building four-six frames/trestle type supports. Then, slowly begin to slide the baseboard (with loose items removed) over the prepared frames. Hammer in four nails per frame to attach. Next, slide the next corner off the table and nail in third support and then do the last corner. Remove table and use new supports for the future.
Now I know this is an INCREDIBLY risky procedure but something that would allow me to add point motors etc.
Has anyone ever been mad enough to perform this procedure before? Just to let you know, I'm not seriously contemplating this, the thought just came into my mind when playing with the trains. Thanks
If you can turn the baseboard so it over hangs the table, then fit legs at one end raising the baseboard sightly above table height then fit legs at the other. Hopefully you shld then be able to pull the table clear. Probably best to have supporting legs for the middle prepared for quick instillation tho !!
Free_at_last

Post by Free_at_last »

No, I have never been mad enough to do it. If you are not seriously contemplating it, best to just carry on with what you are doing.
Pete.
Gauge is not spelt guage. Remember to put another "m" in remeber. Manufacturers has two "r"s in.
When you buy something, you have bought it, not brought it.
Before you post, are you really LOL and do you NEED to tell us?
Jkelly

Post by Jkelly »

Thanks for all the advice guys. A very reassuring response- I was expecting a "What are you even thinking?? STOP! STOP!! Put that hammer down!!!" but judging from your reaction it seems quite doable actually. It would really make a world of difference so I am now seriously contemplating it. Oh yeah, it is a single sheet of plywood 8x4ft. And I meant screwing it in by the way, not nailing it. Again, thanks for the responses. This forum is very helpful. :D