Shunting layout track plan: crazy ideas ?

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Montfort

Shunting layout track plan: crazy ideas ?

Post by Montfort »

Hello,
just two (and maybe crazy) ideas for another shunting layout. Every layout needs two locos. All your comments will be much appreciated. Thanks.
CRAZY IDEAS #1.jpg
CRAZY IDEAS #2.jpg
Back on the track !
Chris
b308

Re: Shunting layout track plan: crazy ideas ?

Post by b308 »

Top one would be more interesting as the shunting is done in opposite directions.
Montfort

Post by Montfort »

Thanks for your advice.
Back on the track !
Chris
Montfort

Post by Montfort »

Mountain gave me this idea:
620.jpg
Back on the track !
Chris
b308

Post by b308 »

Are you using DC or DCC? That last one would be easy with DCC or RC but a bit of a sod to operate with DC. The first two would be no problem with DC as the two "circuits" are separate.
Montfort

Post by Montfort »

DC only. DCC is like a black hole in the deep space. :oops:
Back on the track !
Chris
Montfort

Post by Montfort »

Last crazy idea (thanks Mountain):

Back on the track !
Chris
b308

Post by b308 »

Mmmm... I suppose it may work but for it to be a shunting layout you'd need to make sure the bottom two sidings will take at least one loco and wagon. Personalty i still like the top one as it involved two trains (you'll need two controllers) shunting in opposite directions.
Montfort

Post by Montfort »

Thanks b308.
b308 wrote:Personalty i still like the top one as it involved two trains (you'll need two controllers) shunting in opposite directions.
Me too. :D
Back on the track !
Chris
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

if you haven't already, look into existing shunting puzzle layouts like: inglenook shunting puzzle, there are some really useful guides etc out there which explain how to use them as well.

The cross over effect you have in the top plan is interesting but you might want to expand each side to 3 sidings to ensure you can shunt it successfully - so essentially combine two inglenook puzzles
Montfort

Post by Montfort »

Thanks alex3410. I already know this very interesting website:
http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/index.html
Back on the track !
Chris
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

The central crossing, if it is a slip, introduces the possibility of running around a single wagon, at the expense of complicating the wiring, particularly if you want to work 2 locos in DC. The traditional inglenook is a headshunt and fan of three sidings. It would be a real brain teaser to overlay a mirror image one onto another using a single or double slip at the centre to provide a minimal run around so that wagons could be swapped from side to side. DCC would be an expensive but desirable way of avoiding the even bigger brain teaser of where to put the feeds and breaks in a DC scheme. Certainly a challenge for someone with a bit of experience. I might have to eat my words but I defy anyone to find a prototype for such an arrangement.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
b308

Post by b308 »

I can't think of one where there was a fan of sidings but there are examples of "kick back" sidings which crossed one of the loops in some samll sattions I am sure, John?
minipix

Post by minipix »

If you're dead set on DC (and there's no shame in that, it's what I'm using too), cab control is going to be your friend. You can wire all your negative rails together on a common return, which simplifies matters as you then only have one set of complexity to worry about. The layout would need to be split into logical electrical sections, like in the diagram below; you can use metal rail joiners in most places, and insulated rail joiners on the positive rail where the sections meet. I've indicated with a little coloured circle where I would connect the power on the positive rail. The wire from each positive connection would go to a toggle switch, which would connect to one or other of your two controllers. This setup should allow you to run two locos at the same time, selecting which section of track each controller is controlling at any given time. You'd need to coordinate that with your points, of course.
Attachments
screenshot-www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk-2018.11.06-12-56-45.png
Frontington & Backwoods Railway: https://www.matthewdawkins.co.uk/catego ... way-build/
LocoSound - sound effects for DC model railways: https://mafu-d.github.io/loco-sound
Montfort

Post by Montfort »

Thank you very much for all your answers gentlemen. Please don't forget it's only a few crazy ideas... :roll:
Back on the track !
Chris