Ivatt 2-6-2t 2MT front pony axle

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
trainthusiast101

Re: Ivatt 2-6-2t 2MT front pony axle

Post by trainthusiast101 »

That did cross my mind at one point, as I got two isolators just in case.
Mike Parkes wrote:Just an idea on fixing the axle - try dipping the plastic part in a cup of boiling water - its may become slightly pliable allowing the wheels to be pushed on.
trainthusiast101

Post by trainthusiast101 »

Hi Mike, you'll be pleased to know that method worked. I've managed to fit the wheels on perfectly and now the loco runs good as new. No wheel freezes, no splits (yet), and nothing falling apart. Many thanks for your advice, and of course to everyone else for your suggestions.
Mike Parkes wrote:Just an idea on fixing the axle - try dipping the plastic part in a cup of boiling water - its may become slightly pliable allowing the wheels to be pushed on.
GTFC1650

Post by GTFC1650 »

Hi re the replacing of pony wheel isolators for Bachmann Loco’s. I have read with interest to use of Reamers to widen the hole, and dunking the isolator in hot water etc etc. i have tried these methods, except for the reamer, and found that while it was relatively easy to push one wheel stub into the isolator, the other wheel stub did not want to go. What was happening was that because of the tight fit of the stubs in the isolator there was a build up of air pressure within the isolator tube, and after gently squeezing the stubs into the isolator, with a vice, the air pressure pushed it out again when I released the vice. My answer was to drill a very small hole in the centre of the tube wall, in my case a 0.03mm hole. This allowed any build up of air to escape whilst pushing the wheel stubs into the isolator. This allowed me to push the wheels into the isolators relatively easily and to adjust the wheel gauging
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

This was a common practice many years ago when the only way to join Airfix kit wheels and axles was to find a sleeve to fit over the centre of the axle. The hole was needed to let out surplus glue rather than air but it produced useable pair of wheels on a solid axle. The wheel and half axle are still to be found in some Dapol kits but they now contain plastic wheels on a steel axle which are a step better than the moulded parts. It would be better still if they were metal wheels with centre bushes, but you can't have everything.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions