Enter this forum if you wish to help the growth of New Railway Modellers.
Frankie2

Post by Frankie2 »

Where do I place isolating fishplates as I am running 3 oval tracks with 2 separate controllers. I have place some at the 'V' section of the point but I'm not sure I am correct. Plus do I have to do it on all 3 points at the crossover.
Bufferstop

Re: Points

Post by Bufferstop »

I assume you have four points forming two crossovers, You'll need two insulating rail joiners on the V rails of each point, the feeds need to be somewhere out on each loop, depending of course on if there is further point work on the loop. The centre loop will need a second power feed between the two crossovers. There is a slight anomaly if the points of a crossover have a length of rail between them (more than an inch or so) the two rails of that bit of track are connected to the unbroken rail of each point which can lead to a locomotive or illuminated coach causing strange connections from one circuit to the other. In this situation move one IRJ from the V rail to the end of the short rail connected to it. That will mean that that short piece of track electrically becomes an extension of the frog of that point. It's easier to sort than it is to describe, as you are putting it together just think the two breaks should be at the same point.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions