Clackwick Circa 1955

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
brammie

Re: Clackwick Circa 1955

Post by brammie »

I was hoping for a new diesel loco for Christmas, but no joy. As a lad in 1957, I happened to be at the Bicker's Dyke bridge on the Colchester/Clacton line when a monster of a diesel loco "pulling eight" passed over at speed en route to Clacton. I cannot recall whether it was a Class 37 or a Class 40, but I was well impressed. Ergo, it has long been my hope to give a home to either a Class 37 or Class 40 diesel (new, plain green weathered, with sound). Opinions on the for and against for either model are invited. Thanking you in advance, and wishing you all good modelling for 2024.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Stretch your pension a bit.
A Bachmann 37 this year and a 40 next year !!

Geoff T.
brammie

Post by brammie »

Love it ......... but Mrs B would have rather a lot to say!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Less stress on the pension: that would be an EE type 4, later TOPS class 40. (The EE type 3 class 37 didn't enter service until the early 60s.)

For that date you want an all-over green disc headcode model, and would you believe it, Bachmann have one currently available.
https://www.bachmann.co.uk/product/cate ... %29/32-488
What the sound might be like I don't know.

If - like me - something cheaper appeals, then 'search the second hand' looms into view. The first round of introductions of this model from Bachmann were back in about 2004, and these occasionally turn up s/h.

The drive is a heavyweight centre motor flywheel shaft drive to two axles on each bogie, and will pull anything you care to hang on behind; yet to wear out any of the Bachmann models with this drive design. These first models lack lights if that matters to you, and has a positional error in the body side detail, but it looks enough like EE's brute to me. Didn't come with sound fitted, and I would be very cautious about a DIY sound installation.

Appearance can be improved by lowering the body for a smaller gap between body side and bogie frame, but only if you use a minimum radius in excess of 30", anything smaller and the wheel tops can start fouling the plastic bodyside. (The loco is supplied to work on set track radius 2 , just under 18" radius; because the majority of layouts incorporate at least some set track, the points especially.)

There's competition in class 37s BTW, cheap early Bachmann specimens should be appearing s/h...
captrees

Post by captrees »

brammie wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:41 pm Ergo, it has long been my hope to give a home to either a Class 37 or Class 40 diesel (new, plain green weathered, with sound). Opinions on the for and against for either model are invited. Thanking you in advance, and wishing you all good modelling for 2024.
I have just purchased a new Bachmann Class 37 after agonising whether it was worth the money. The Sam's train review was very good, so I went ahead and got one. Compared with anything else I have, it is exceptionally good and very powerful. Highly recommended.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

captrees wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:31 am ... very powerful..
Consistently one of the best features of the move to Chinese production of RTR OO, using well developed technique from HO. (North American modellers with 'basement empires' needed these centre motor both bogies driven mechanisms to operate lengthy freights.)
Even the little BTH and NBL narrow bonnet type 1 BoBo's from Heljan, which are limited for weight by their small size, perform like heroes.
brammie

Post by brammie »

Thank you all for your inputs guys. Just ordered a new Class 40 (D292), weathered with sound for 240 quid export. I would rather have opted for an all-wheel drive model, but at 400 quid plus that's difficult to justify (to her indoors). Will post a video once up and running on Clackwick.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

That's the Bachmann 32-488SF I take it? This has all the prototpe's driven wheels powered, just the carrying wheels at the ends unpowered. We'll await your report.

Let's throw temptation in your path, quite likely some of the 'eight on' you saw in 1957 will have been ex LNER stock. Bachmann have just produced a selection of Thompson vehicles, if anything superior to their much liked BR mk1 range, which they run alongside very well...
brammie

Post by brammie »

Thats it Bigmet. Yes, I got that - all wheels have power pickup; front wheels (only) driven. I will look into your latest observation once the Class 40 is run in; meanwhile, it might well take over the duties on the Brit heading up six carriages.
brammie

Post by brammie »

Still waiting for a DF from Rails of Sheffield on my Class 40 - I suspect the requirement for weathering is delaying delivery. Meanwhile, to help relieve my impatience I added this Scaledale building to the Clackwick layout after touching up the paintwork.
Attachments
Pic 4 (2).jpg
Pic 3 (2).jpg
Pic 2 (2).jpg
Pic 1 (2).jpg
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I do like that.
It looks like it's been there unloved for decades.

Geoff T.
brammie

Post by brammie »

Thank you Geoff. A few tubes of acrylic and an old stiff brush. When "distressing", I find the best results come with selecting an old, stiff brush and the minimum addition of water to the acrylic. The important thing then is to virtually dry the brush on tissue paper. Tedious and somewhat wasteful, but you see the effect.
brammie

Post by brammie »

Class 40 en route after delay for weathering. Currently being held with customs here in Germany; past experience suggests that I should expect to wait some days before I GET A LETTER informing me what import and VAT charges have been levied. It wasn't like this when UK was in the EU! Patience is a virtue.
brammie

Post by brammie »

Class 40 arrived. Weathering rather more heavy than I would have liked (pic to follow). Now to clean the big outside track loop ready for operations.
brammie

Post by brammie »

D292 1024 x 768.jpg
The need to attend to a number of domestic issues at home has kept me away from the layout until this weekend. However, D292 now sits squarely on the test rig whilst I struggle to get my head around the ECoS controller after a long period of absence. Got the loco running on a rolling road, and enabled the sound chip. So far so good, but recall could be much better. Will have another session with CVs today.[attachment=0]D292 1024 x 768.jpg