Clackwick Circa 1955

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
brammie

Re: Clackwick Circa 1955

Post by brammie »

Now that Pennsylvania Railroad's T1 is what one might call a proper loco - you have any figures for it Chops?
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

The 'Splay' on the center wheels on the older tender drive, are free wheeling, on small stub axles, they are more for 'show'.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
brammie

Post by brammie »

Thank you for that, manna. There is massive free play on the middle set of wheels but, as you say, they are only there for the ride.
brammie

Post by brammie »

Stage 2 of the B1 recovery diorama complete:
De-rail 1 1024 x 768.JPG
De-rail 2 1024 x 768.JPG
De-rail 3 1024 x 768.JPG
De-rail 4 1024 x 768.JPG
De-rail 5 1024 x 768.JPG
I found the camera work quite awkward with the new white lighting, and it was necessary to turn that particular lighting off to photograph this area of the track. My favourite angle-poise fell to the floor a couple of weeks ago, and I'm still looking for a suitable replacement. Anyway, hopefully you get the general idea of where I am going from the pics above. I look forward to putting some more detail into the scene and I need to "rubbish" the area up a bit, following which (with new lighting available) I can post some close-ups.
brammie

Post by brammie »

I didn't do too well in my search for additional props for the derailment scene. Model Scenery Supplies came up with a few items - "Trackside Junk" from Knightwing, "Engine Shed and Workshop Clutter" from GEM and "Wooden Crates" from Preiser. All very good finish, but not a lot that would fit in the scene (although there is much scope elsewhere on the layout):
De-rail 11 1024 x 768.JPG
Would be grateful for recommendations that be might be considered for inclusion.
brammie

Post by brammie »

Following a personal setback last year I had not been in my railway room for several weeks or more. Anyway, I had a look yesterday and during a cursory inspection my eye fell on the small wood that I created using Seafoam last year. Oh dear, looked very much as though the autumn leaf-fall had affected my small patch as well:
Trees old.jpg
Clearly, the full-fix hair spray that I used as adhesive for the foliage had only short term qualities! So, armed with a cannister of spray-on Pattex, I set about "re-foliaging" the Seafoam. Having rattled my way through some twenty trees, I stopped to take stock. Perfect lollipops, but nothing whatever to do with trees. Another box of Seafoam is on order, but this time I intend to use diluted PVA in a spray bottle. Can't wait!
brammie

Post by brammie »

Small wood now refoilaged using PVA/water mix as adhesive. Ground cover needs a bit more detail, but looks better, I think:
Trees 10 Feb 20 1 1028.jpg
Trees 10Feb20 2 1028.jpg
Trees 10 Feb 20 3 1028.jpg
brammie

Post by brammie »

For some reason or other Christmas invariably prompts me to put the lights on in my railway room and fire up the Clackwick layout. This is usually followed by several days (or more) spent getting things back into working order, as was the case on this occasion. Since my last post I got hold of a mini digicam, with the idea of filming a circuit of the layout, and mounted it on a small flat top. After a good clean up of track and locos to be featured, I put on my Director's hat and prepared for what I thought would be an enjoyable formality. Several frustration filled days later I had abandoned all three on-board sound steam locos as unreliable (previously all good runners), and settled for a diesel operation. The video I now post is a pretty poor version of a track-tour, which provides little idea of the frustration encountered in the production and editing of such. However, many lessons were learnt. Otherwise, I should explain that my signalling is intended for decoration only - despite being an enthusiast for many decades I never understood the UK signalling system (perhaps I should change to red/green lights).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/165741652 ... ed-public/
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Lovely layout and you have created a realistic spacious feel. How big is it?
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
brammie

Post by brammie »

Thankyou for the compliment GeraldH. My layout covers an area of approx 17 ft x 10 ft (reducing to 7 ft 6 at one end). It reflects various aspects of Clacton-on-Sea terminal, Colchester mainline station, and Jaywick Sands locality adjacent to the marshes in the mid fifties.
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

I always find cab rides show a completely different scene from the normal views people post. Thanks for sharing.
brammie

Post by brammie »

You are welcome Dave. Absolutely agree re your comment - could be a different layout!
brammie

Post by brammie »

After the latest of my long breaks from model railway matters, I felt that it was time to do something about the old Peco backscenes on the Clackwick layout. The choice of id Backscenes Premium Range from the options available was, for me, no contest (I needed 40ft of adjoining sections). I opted to mount the self adhesive sections of backscene on stiff card (double thickness A1 300gsm, cut down to 15" height) before installing and fixing with spray-on contact glue. The operation went quite smoothly, and I am reasonably satisfied with the outcome. See what you think:
001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
005.jpg
brammie

Post by brammie »

Pictures (continued):
006.jpg
007.jpg
008.jpg