Clackwick Circa 1955

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
joshv8

Re: Clackwick Circa 1955

Post by joshv8 »

WOW Brammie, really adds depth with those backscenes!
I think some close up photos of the railway are in order. The layout is looking absolutely fantastic, a joy to see.
I will have to check the backscenes out.

Cheers,
Josh
brammie

Post by brammie »

Thanks josh. When I look at the old Peco backscenes I have to wonder why I didn't do it sooner (too many other things going on, I suspect). For your info; further to my earlier comments, the id Backscenes that I opted for were the Premium Range Self Adhesive. Trying to put the rolls into place at arms length and more, with adhesive backing would have provided a good laugh for some. I went for pre-mounting, which made the placing and securing much easier. Continuity and joins involved some careful planning, as you can imagine. I wish you luck if you do decide to follow the same course. As for posting some close-ups of the finished article - give me a few days to spring clean where needed (dust, dead insects, dog hairs, cobwebs, etc), and I will get busy - perhaps a "virtual" tour as well.
brammie

Post by brammie »

Joshv8, herewith close up pics as requested. Have included only views where new backscene involved -
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
brammie

Post by brammie »

6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
brammie

Post by brammie »

11.JPG
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Very nice. Some more growth similating patches of brambles on the lineside side of the fence will add to the scene and the white fencing may need slightly toneing down. It is good though. I really like it as you have a real flair for your scenic work. It really looks the part. (I am only adding a couple of thoughts on how to make it even better. Ignore me if it is not so easy to do as it is excellent as it is).

I love the cutting down trees scene. It is brilliant!
brammie

Post by brammie »

Thank you for taking the trouble to comment with your advice Mountain. Now that you've said it, I can't see anything but glaringly white fencing and lack of brambles! I will put this high up on my to-do list. Re the woodcutters: All of my diaoramas are based on life experiences (mostly as a lad) and depict the places where they occurred. The woodcutters scene relates to an old boy by the name of Charlie Wheeler who cut and sold kindling wood from his old "baker's" three-wheeler bike around Clacton in the 1950s. I only learnt how well known he was after joining a Clacton website in recent years.
joshv8

Post by joshv8 »

The closeups are great thanks Brammie. As said with those backscenes it really adds lots of depth to your scenery. I bet your feeling really immersed in the model world now. Its always of great interest your stories to go along with your scenic additions!

Cheers,
Josh
brammie

Post by brammie »

Hi Josh. Re the diaoramas on my layout, and the associated stories. I have to place on record that some of the stories are not best suited to a site of this nature, so will refrain from providing further details here. However, if you look very carefully you will certainly find clues as to the related circumstances.
joshv8

Post by joshv8 »

brammie wrote:Hi Josh. Re the diaoramas on my layout, and the associated stories. I have to place on record that some of the stories are not best suited to a site of this nature, so will refrain from providing further details here. However, if you look very carefully you will certainly find clues as to the related circumstances.
That sounds a very tactful way of saying " I was once young and got up to mischief ".

Cheers,
Josh
brammie

Post by brammie »

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

I was once young and got up to mischief
Guilty your Honour :wink:
Once upon a time I built a model railway in the loft. Now I dabble on much smaller baseboards.
brammie

Post by brammie »

I've been bothered for some time about one aspect of the new backscenes I installed recently - particularly the "housing estate" featured towards the NW corner. After researching the options available, I settled on scalescenes.com 2015 Brown Garden Wall TX52 (download to your printer). Cheap and cheerful, so I mounted on stiff card then weathered to suit, added some foliage and posters, and hey presto:
Before.jpg
After 2.JPG
brammie

Post by brammie »

I've been bothered for some time about one aspect of the new backscenes I installed recently - particularly the "housing estate" featured towards the NW corner. After researching the options available, I settled on scalescenes.com 2015 Brown Garden Wall TX52 (download to your printer). Cheap and cheerful, so I mounted on stiff card then weathered to suit, added some foliage and posters, and hey presto:
Before.jpg
After 2.JPG
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Yes the perspective of the houses in the before image is definitely wrong, it makes them appear to be leaning back away from the viewer. I have a similar row of houses on my backscene but the perspective works because it's above the viewer's eye level. In general any regular shaped structure in a backscene is only going to look right from one angle or a narrow band thereof. I had an uncle who was a bit of an artist and he gave me a book called "How to draw houses" it explained perspective much more clearly than our art teacher managed to do!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions