newby

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
brumrail

newby

Post by brumrail »

Hi everyone.
Just joined and I am looking for a bit of inspiration.
I have been modelling since my retirement some 5 years ago and decided on 00 gauge, thinking back to when I was a kid with my Triang set.
Moved house 2 years ago and have a purpose built shed ( 10ft x 10ft internal) that was to be used as a music room by the previous owner, but never was. He upped and left his wife and she sold to us. So I have a perfect room, insulated wired and modern.
I carried on with 00 gauge but I had built a monster and felt claustrophobic every time I went into my shed, so I ripped the whole lot out, sold my engines and stock and decided to go N Gauge.
I have an L shaped area I will use for my layout, 2800mm along the top, 2200mm down the side and 700mm wide.
I want to model in the modern era and would like to incorporate an industrial area, a main line station and a small country station.
Looked at lots of pictures in mags , on line etc but just cannot find what I am looking for.
I have loaded SCARM and played around with that.
I just need someone to give me a bit of inspiration, if possible.
Regards
John Stanton
End2end

Re: newby

Post by End2end »

Hi brumrail and welcome to the forum. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

Hello and welcome to the forum, John.

Any ideas of what you do or don't want in your plan?
Multiple levels OK. or all on one for ease of construction and access?

Modern freight tends to be bulk loads in long trains which affects what can be done for shunting.
How about a permanent way depot?

Chris,
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Hi, Welcome aboard John. I take it you're a Brummy, I'm a Black Country boy so grew up living next door one way now live next door the other. (there's a clue in my profile.)
Getting a room just for your layout is great, I have an otherwise unusable space downstairs amongst the bedrooms, (we live upside down). My modelling came on by leaps and bounds once I moved into a civilised space.
Looking forward to your N gauge empire.

John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions