New guy new layout helps plz

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
atnas666

New guy new layout helps plz

Post by atnas666 »

So i Have decided before unleashing my self on the shed. Im gonna build a smaller one to start with.

i have started construction of the base bored under section and the final size is 2380x800mm
This going to be N gauage. So would any of you have any thoughts on a lay out. (I'm rubbish at designing)
I'm looking at 80/90s era with a loop and a nice amount of operating/stunting.

Mountain

Re: New guy new layout helps plz

Post by Mountain »

Relax. You've made a good start.
First how busy is the scene you want to create? Are you intending it to be a scenic branch line, a suburban city station or something else?
Single track layouts normally look better with shorter trains and lots of scenery. Double track will look better for an express train passing through, though there are a great many lines that have express trains (Class1) passing through. You could build a terminus station or have an oval of track for continuous running. Some like modelling depots or a goods shed, so thinking along the lines of what you intend to include (Knowing that you only have so much space so a little of everything may not work!) will help determine your track plan.
Also, you could model an area of landscape in between stations and this can be single or double track. This can also be a good excuse, especially if single track, of the "Anything goes" type of modelling as the basic scenery would look the same from the earliest days to today.
Hopefully someone like Emettman who uses the design thingies to give you a few ideas.
atnas666

Post by atnas666 »

Needs to ideal have at lest 1loop
But I do like operations/stunting
May be a port
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

With model railway layouts once you get to the 80's a lot has changed from steam days which can mean quite a lot for track plans.
Passenger services on the remaining branch lines 1 to 2 car DMU's while main-line services are LONG.
With freight, the classic goods yard is no more: most trains are either single-type bulk deliveries or long strings of containers, and both of these need pretty large facilities to start, stop, load and unload cargoes.

There were (and still are) short train workings to be found, but many of these will still originate/terminate at large depots. The small ones have mostly been closed!
This is an interesting thread on what is still around,
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ht-trains/
Matching this with the desired passenger service is what the planning will be about.

An obvious idea would be to look at a "watching the trains go by" design, with one side of the board being hidden parallel tracks to hold a supply of trains while the opposite side had largely unencumbered track, the centre of the board holding a "just large enough to survive" single-purpose depot.
China clay in rural Cornwall, or a fuel depot in rural Scotland, perhaps.
To try to get in a passenger junction with a branch line as well would probably overload things, and that would do better with longer freight trains just passing by on the main line.

An option for more variety, right up to "anything" goes, would be to have a preserved railway operating out of the bay platform of a still-functioning larger station, with little interaction between the two.

Different decision: are you looking for a one-level layout, or are you happy with gradients and multiple levels? The second is more work but might offer more capacity or more scenic opportunities.

Just thinking, Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
atnas666

Post by atnas666 »

Oh there will be a odd steamer lol.. multi level is fine as long as sum1 can help on the design/inclines
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Depends where you live regarding times the smaller yards closed, as here in South West Wales the little yards remained in use and nothing much changed until the early '90s came along when they stopped using most of them. During the mid 1980's they were very much in use down here along with the goods sheds and coal depots etc.
I remember the 1980's well as it was in those days when I took the most photographs. They were exciting times to live down in these parts watching various trains from engine and coaches, DMU's of various types, various goods and freight from coal to ballast to parcels to postal to military to fertiliser to petroleum and oil trains. We could see anything locally from a HST to a triple headed cut down class 03 dealing with coal wagons. We saw various classes of diesel... 03,07,08,24 (The last sole example sat outside Swansea), 25,33,37,40 (Rare but I believe I saw one pulling the school special that took us to Bristol Zoo),45&46 (East of Swansea),47,50,56.... The rest were DMU's and the twice daily HST usually passing in the hours of darkness except for summer with the longer daylight. There were also a few industrial diesels around from American shunters to a British tractor with a sleeper acting as a buffer to a fork lift truck.
atnas666

Post by atnas666 »

Sounds lovely. Afraid I'm in Surrey so network southeast and West and the odd virging hst
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Down here we tended to also be a decade behind as far as the livery is concerned back in those days. We still had most trains in small logo B.R. blue when sectorization came along. Apart from HST's I dont remember seeing any exclusive liveried locomotive until after privatisation had come and the odd old loco from other areas that had been brought back to life came down here.
We saw the odd loco in large logo B.R. blue livery around the mid 1980's onwards. This was a good five or six years later then they were seen elsewhere.
The HST's were the exception to this as they were used to go to London so had to be in the latest liveries. For some reason if the loco took services to London they would find money to spend on it!

The light blue NSE livery looked good. Only ever saw it for real when Arriva Trains Wales bought some classes 121 & 122's for use between Cardiff Queen Street and Cardiff Bay which is a short section of line.
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

Thus is just a sketch, and may well be of most use in defining what you *don't* want to do, but it also points up some size and train length issues for consideration.
Nsimple.jpg
How many coaches, including power car ends to a Virgin HST?
The longer storage loops should hold 8-9 coaches plus a loco.
The platforms shown will cope with a 4-car DMU.

The capacity would then be
2 long passenger trains, non-stopping.
4 2-4 car DMU's, (2 to a loop)
2 shortish freight trains for depot (anti-clockwise only)(2 to the extra loop on the inner track)

The sidings could be for oil, or for Ministry of Defence, or...

Adding 4-5 points would allow for a terminating and reversing DMU service, but otherwise there isn't much room for any operation that needs the two tracks to connect!
(This might squeeze the end curves a little and/or lose a coach length from the longest trains; "something's gotta give.")

The curves (not quite as shown) would be aiming at (approximately) 10" and 11" in the hidden tight curves and 14" and 15" radii in the visible section.

Just thinking, Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
atnas666

Post by atnas666 »

Thanks guys. Will look in to this properly tomorrow when home from Work
atnas666

Post by atnas666 »

Ok so i have thought of a layout idea.
Loosely Designed on the non existent Ramsgate port station
Any thoughts?
Can also add a siding or two between cliff above the station/porty area

Also finished the base board

Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Very nice. Does it run well?
atnas666

Post by atnas666 »

Yes it does. It my 1st n gauge model and motor sounds a little loud to me. But I also have nothing to compare it to.

But for the actual running it runs well
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Very nice. Looks a nice set.
atnas666

Post by atnas666 »

There you go a pic of it in the box