Gem Baldwin

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
RiverLin

Gem Baldwin

Post by RiverLin »

Hi all.
I am putting together an 009 Gem Baldwin. I am being very careful and have got it to the stage where it can sit on rails using an 08 chassis (pic to follow). I am having trouble trying to work out how to fit the front bogie. Maybe I am reading the instructions incorrectly but if I tighten up the holding bolt the bogie is gripped tight. If I leave the bolt loose, what is to stop the front footplate rattling about and the bolt slowing unscrewing and fouling the track and points between the wheels.
Sorry if I have missed something but any help would be useful.

I am a newbie on here and will introduce myself later today.

David.
b308

Re: Gem Baldwin

Post by b308 »

I'm not sure David as I've never made one and i doubt anyone else has on here which tends to be SG mainly. However if you join up to NGRM-Online there are several people who will have and can answer your question.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

If they use an ordinary nut and bolt, if there's room use two nuts and tighten one to the other at the desired tension. Is much the same way bicycle parts are held firm.
b308

Post by b308 »

They don't, Mountain. It uses the screws on the chassis from what i remember. Hence I told him to go to NGRM where there are people who have assembled them, unlike us! ;) :)
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

No worries. I didnt know what method the kits use. I know many kits can use simple nuts and bolts. There's always a challenge to overcome when building things, but that's part of the fun!
RiverLin

Post by RiverLin »

Thanks for the replies.
The problem I have is that following the instructions, I glued a nut inside the boiler lower half and then glued the top half of the boiler to it, again as per instructions. This nut is now hidden inside the boiler so I cannot fit a captive nut.
I will have another look at it this evening but thanks for your suggestions.
I have now posted on Ngrm-online as well.
David.
b308

Post by b308 »

David, Tim has replied over on NGRM with an offer to send you a copy of an article in OO9 news which should help if you PM him!
RiverLin

Post by RiverLin »

Thanks b308
D.
Electraman

Post by Electraman »

Thread lock glue or my favourite silicone, or nail varnish or a small nylon lock nut. Probably totally useless and of no help.