Running way

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
barney121e

Running way

Post by barney121e »

Hi all

Having a mental block with how trains normally run on a layout. Am I right in thinking that with two lines, the outer one runs clockwise and the inner one runs anticlockwise.
Is that correct?
luckymucklebackit

Re: Running way

Post by luckymucklebackit »

That is the way you would run on a UK based layout, now all countries "drive on the left" as it were, for example if you were modelling a German layout it would be the other way about.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

For most railways in the world they copy the way their roads are set up. For Britain it is on the left. However if you model the present day, many railways in the UK are being modified with bi directional signalling so that if a rail breaks or if a loco breaks down, services can still be run. The idea is to prevent delays and keep things moving.
barney121e

Post by barney121e »

Thanks guys

Been looking at different uk track plans and some see to work with the inside line running clockwise hence my question. But will use your advice as a start point and work from there.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I have a book in which the learned author shows that whatever he knew about his own subject he knew SFA about French railways as he insisted the crossovers in the Channel Tunnel were so that the trains came out running on the right in France. As English companies built the first railways in France they run on the left too.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions