New / Old - Little Weldon

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
joshv8

Re: New / Old - Little Weldon

Post by joshv8 »

Wow how cool is that!!

Not a railway of course but I have a number of magazines at home with show cars I repaired and painted for people and it's nice when something you do is received well enough by others to be worthy of publishing.

I think Little Weldon is well worthwhile of that. I will have to acquire a copy if I can find one . Magazines are becoming thin on the ground here as more and more publications move to a digital format.

Cheers,
Josh
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

A very nice article, the main picture demonstrates the fact that if there's enough to grab your attention the tinplate track gets overlooked. With all wheels acting as the return and two sprung pickups riding on the third rail there was never any hesitation over the odd bit of dust!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Congratulations, well deserved and something a bit more unusual for the mag!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
heda

Post by heda »

Congratulations from me too, as Josh said it's nice when something is worth of publishing. That is something to be proud of.

Dave
End2end

Post by End2end »

A hearty congratulations from me too. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Dublo

Post by Dublo »

Hello all

Thank you all very much Gentlemen.
The editorial team have had an input, the track plan as shown is slightly incorrect along with some of the photo captions.
I didn't expect to be a beginner either.
It's still a Dr Hook moment though.
After all these years I've made it into the RM.
IMG_20211212_120512.jpg
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I think HD's worst mistake was not going for two rail when they restarted production. After a six year gap the number of customers who felt forced to make the change would have been relatively small. After all the happily changed the couplers and weren't bankrupted by the number of people sending models back to get the new type fitted. Rumour was that most were simply replaced by a new item it was only the locos that were modified. If they did that they could have lived with changing wheelsets and pickups.
Dublo

Post by Dublo »

Hello all
Wishing you all a very
IMG_20201205_174101_kindlephoto-3149479.jpg
Chops

Post by Chops »

Seeing this vintage 3 rail is always a fascination. One advantage to 3 rail, or as in Marklin's center stud, is I imagine track cleaning is not nearly the issue it is with 2 rail. I recall coming across some fine old coaches, in metal, and quickly blowing a fuse I was introduced into the rarified world of Hornby AC. It would seem, given the conductive nature of the all metal bodies, couplers, axles and wheels that the entire train became conductive, at least on one polarity.
Nessie rocks!
Chops

Post by Chops »

Seeing this vintage 3 rail is always a fascination. One advantage to 3 rail, or as in Marklin's center stud, is I imagine track cleaning is not nearly the issue it is with 2 rail. I recall coming across some fine old coaches, in metal, and quickly blowing a fuse I was introduced into the rarified world of Hornby AC. It would seem, given the conductive nature of the all metal bodies, couplers, axles and wheels that the entire train became conductive, at least on one polarity.
Nessie rocks!
joshv8

Post by joshv8 »

A fantastic post card!
Those trees look magnificent but I must admit, it's the quaint snowman that really peaked my interest. A fantastic christmas display.

Cheers,
Josh
Dublo

Post by Dublo »

Hello all
Thanks very much for your kind comments regarding Little Weldon. As Bufferstop has said a few posts ago
Bufferstop wrote:With all wheels acting as the return and two sprung pickups riding on the third rail there was never any hesitation over the odd bit of dust!
as you quite rightly suggest Chops cleaning the track work although it still needs to be done doesn't have to be so thorough as for two rail. Incidently it is well known that the three rail version of the Class 20 locomotive was a much better runner than the 2 rail version.
Josh the Snowman is just a couple of pieces of white Plasticine with a few dots of paint. I made him a few years ago now and amazingly he has survived.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

A friends layout included a reverse loop with an isolating rail in it. With the points set correctly using the big Marshall controler and the little handset one, it was possible to get two locos going opposite ways to meet nose to nose, (more like coupler to coupler) on the isolating rail. There would be a loud bang from the controller as its electromechanical cutout tripped, accompanied by a flash as the two couplers met in the middle.
Dublo

Post by Dublo »

Hello all
Just for a bit of fun Little Weldons badge of honour.
IMG_20211228_114540.jpg
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Well done Dublo! One day I will get a similar accolade . . . . . . . . . . . . . just need to build a layout first! lol
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!