Detratched wire on old Triang 0-4-0

Post all your model railway electronic problems, solutions and discoverys here.
lou2000

Detratched wire on old Triang 0-4-0

Postby lou2000 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:39 am

Hi
Ive on old Triang Loco which turn with direct power, but naturally not on the track as the red wire has disconnected. I cant see anywhere obvious to resolder? Ive looked on te internet but nothing exactly like this comes up? Any ideas? Thanks
Attachments
image.jpeg

SRman

Re: Detratched wire on old Triang 0-4-0

Postby SRman » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:42 am

That wire should be connected directly to the pickup strips on the locomotive's baseplate. I would suggest putting a completely new length of wire in its place. Undo the two screws holding the baseplate on, then solder the new wire to the contact for the pickups, feed the wire back up through the chassis to the brass piece adjacent to the brush with the insulated sleeve on the spring wire (the bit with the existing wire soldered to it).

Put it back together and test. Hopefully all should then be well again.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:19 am

Lovely loco, I have one which I've upgraded :) . The wheels look like they may need a bit of a clean as well. You could use meths on a cotton bud, but do it with the body off and don't touch the body until you've washed your hands, as meths will damage the paintwork.

If you have modern points, you may find that the loco sticks when going through them, as the wheels weren't really designed for modern points. Just come back on here if you have that problem and someone will be able to give you some suggestions.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:54 am

Lovely little things. :)
The red wire goes right down to the bottom of the chassis and onto the pick ups on the one side of the loco. This is the black insulated piece of material at the bottom of the loco which has copper pick up wipers on it. It is these copper pickups it needs to connect with. The pickups for the other side use the chassis frame and go directly to the wheels, so visibly there is no seperate pick up for the other side.

My little narrow gauge locomotive uses one of those chassis but mine did have the later motor on it. Now it has a nearly new motor, and more modern wheels which I had to make a new pickup board and pickups so that I had pickups for all four wheels as the new wheels are all isolated from the axles. (Your wheels are only isolated on the one side from their axles).
Attachments
IMG_20171019_150549.jpg
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:37 pm

OK - so who knew that the number on this loco - 25550 - was actually one of the phone numbers for Hornby's old factory in Margate? 25555 - on 'Lord Westwood' - was another!

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:36 pm

Ooh. So which new model locos have the Hornby number? :lol: Didn't know that.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

SRman

Postby SRman » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:45 am

I think it was only the two locos mentioned: the 0-4-0T and 'Lord Westwood'.

Return to “Electronics”