Hello from Johannesburg South Africa

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
cm101

Hello from Johannesburg South Africa

Post by cm101 »

Hello Everyone,

My dad and I (mostly dad) have been building South African model railway layouts for a very long time.

Our current layout is housed in a room approximately 250 sqm in size. We have modeled it to a coastal city called Durban and it's surrounding industrial areas. He was once involved in local forums and groups who would invite members home to showcase layouts but the group no longer exists so I thought it would be nice to give him some sort of online presence. Planning on setting up an Instagram account in the near future too.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts?

Link to pictures taken a couple years ago: https://www.flickr.com/photos/christopi ... 810450533/
Attachments
IMG_7894.jpg
End2end

Re: Hello from Johannesburg South Africa

Post by End2end »

HOLY MOLY :o . That's extensive!!!
:mrgreen: < green with envy. :lol:
Welcome to the forum cm101.

Funny, I used to use a synth called cm101 :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Incredible - how on earth do you keep all that track clean!

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Welcome to the forum. Tell us about railway modelling in South Africa. I spent around a year there in 96-70. SAR at that time was a mixture of designs, 3' 6"" gauge and buckeye couplers made for an exotic look. Access to our Factory site was across a fan of spurs, where fly shunting of single wagons was common, even our fortnightly tanker of LPG! The works minibus bore the scars of someone mistiming it.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Someone I know used to live in Durban I believe. He used to say how the SA "Blue Train" was far more luxurious then our UK trains. I told him we did have a few trains here made with luxury in mind. I looked up the blue train to find it was made here in the UK by a company called Metro Camel, which tended to specialize in more humble diesel railcars and things like that. It is actually very interesting how many railway locos and rolling stock were built in some countries and sent to various other countries to meet their needs. Some railways imported locos from several different countries, all in different styles. It must have been a major undertaking to transport such large items between countries, especially if they were needed hundreds of miles inland.

That layout looks great! Must have taken a good few years of work to build. I like the overhead electric wires.