Stay safe on-line

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
Bufferstop

Re: Want to Register, Stay safe on-line

Post by Bufferstop »

It's no wonder in these strange times that people feel a little paranoid, but I need to repeat this advice if you wish to register with NRM, it's the best I can do without giving away the keys to our security.
Bufferstop wrote:This topic comes up regularly. This article covers it well
Link
Some of us feel reasonable safe with disclosing our name and an approximate location, what I would say is if you feel your IT skills are up to handling the occasional idiot, doing so will not make you less secure in the face of the bad guys (they'll know how to find you), but disclosure may make you vulnerable to the trolls and pesky kiddies.
There is one time when you'll need to forego anonymity, It's essential that when registering with the site, that we get your real email address and the true IP address of the device you apply from. You can post directly to most of our forums so it would be irresponsible for us to allow an anonymous and untraceable person to do so. Once you are in you can go back to anonymity if you wish.

John W
aka Bufferstop
21 Feb 2018
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions