BRUNEL GOODS SHED

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
traintwee

BRUNEL GOODS SHED

Post by traintwee »

HI
CAN ANYONE HELP ME FIND PHOTOS OF A BRUNEL GOODS SHED .
I AM SCRATCH BULIDING ONE FOR MY LAYOUT AND ONLY HAVE A SMALL NUMBER OF PHOTOS SHOWING FRONT VIEWS,I WOULD LIKE TO
SEE SOME SIDE AND BACK VIEW PHOYOGRAPHS,
THANKS
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: BRUNEL GOODS SHED

Post by flying scotsman123 »

NO NEED TO SHOUT! Don't know how helpful it'll be but have you looked at didcot's to exchange shed? Is there anything on the WSR that fits?; that was broad gauge initially.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Can you post one of your pictures, or point to one on-line. I have the combined volumes edition of GWR branch line termini. It has photos and drawings of the structures at a dozen or so stations. If I can identify the style you want I'll scan the photos and drawings and email them to you.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Pete

Post by Pete »

I'll scan the photos and drawings and email them to you
...reminiscent of a certain discussion a few weeks ago on copyright infringement, shame on you :wink:

P.
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell
traintwee

Post by traintwee »

flying scotsman123 wrote:NO NEED TO SHOUT! Don't know how helpful it'll be but have you looked at didcot's to exchange shed? Is there anything on the WSR that fits?; that was broad gauge initially.
Thanks for this-
traintwee

Post by traintwee »

Bufferstop wrote:Can you post one of your pictures, or point to one on-line. I have the combined volumes edition of GWR branch line termini. It has photos and drawings of the structures at a dozen or so stations. If I can identify the style you want I'll scan the photos and drawings and email them to you.
thanks for your reply ,any reference would be fantastic.
pls see attached photos i have of the Moreton in Marsh goods shed im hoping to replicate;
Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 19.25.45.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-12 at 19.25.45.png
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 17.42.21.png
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Read up on the principal of fair use. The copying of part, say a chapter for a specific purpose is covered by the principal of fair usage. If a teacher wants a class to discuss a particular passage from a book, but not to read the whole thing then it's a legitimate fair use to make 30 odd copies of the passage. If it's something that is done regularly then the institution, (school, college, uni etc) keeps a register of such copying for inspection by the Copyright agencies to check, to ensure the facility is not being abused. I've signed the register a fair few times, copying the character set table from a printer manual, when I stepped in to do the bit about printers on computer literacy courses.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

OK Traintwee I'll get the book out tomorrow, if you've changed you email address since you registered let me know, otherwise I can use the address from your profile.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Your not the first to make this shed!
MARSH CHIPPING by David Westwood
http://glostransporthistory.visit-glouc ... ew2011.htm
scroll a long way down

Just by googleing "Moreton in Marsh goods shed"
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
traintwee

Post by traintwee »

TimberSurf wrote:Your not the first to make this shed!
http://glostransporthistory.visit-glouc ... ew2011.htm
scroll a long way down

Just by googleing "Moreton in Marsh goods shed"
hi ,
thanks for this,i had seen this image when i googled the subject.
traintwee

Post by traintwee »

Bufferstop wrote:OK Traintwee I'll get the book out tomorrow, if you've changed you email address since you registered let me know, otherwise I can use the address from your profile.
thanks,would really help
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

What about the goods shed in Llanelli (Llanelly).
traintwee

Post by traintwee »

Mountain wrote:What about the goods shed in Llanelli (Llanelly).
Thanks for this ,i will investigate
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

The main part of the building has been listed, so it still stands today.party of the building has been demolished. It is an impressive structure in size. I remember it in use in the 1980's and I photographed two class 08's both in use at the time on the lines near the goods shed and a class 37 passing on the main line. I'm not sure if it is a Brunel structure for sure or not. The line was originally made by the South Wales Railway which Brunel had some input. (I'm not sure if this would have been Brunel senior or Brunel junior. (Both were designers and did some major work. The man we see in the famous picture is Brunel junior). The Great Western Railway soon took over. I am not sure when the goods shed was built. Somewhere I have track diagrams but most of these date from around the 1870's to 1880's so are not that early. The line was built around the 1850's.
The building at Llanelly was built from dressed stone of impressive size and has a slate roof.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Hi Traintwee the drawings that I know I've got are for

Abbotsbury
Ashburton
Hemyock
Moretonhampstead
Princetown
Fairford
Lambourne
Tetbury
Wallingford
Wattlington

Having had a look I wouldn't say any of them are typically Brunelian, they mainly appear to be Swindon identikit jobs, farmed out to local contractors. Any other suggestions that come up I'll have a scan to see if I can find additional pictures or plans.
I have so many books in there that once I start looking I'm lost to the world for hours. We no longer have a supply of students looking for IT/Computing projects. Scanning the index of all those books and combining them into one database would be just what's required. The recent Dept.of Ed kneejerk reaction has just about killed off an assessed practical task, and I'm not proposing to do it myself, and I'll say no more about the Dept foe Ed beforeI I get political.