Static grass box alternative

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
TimberSurf

Static grass box alternative

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:56 pm

Having seen videos of static grass box applicators and their great effect at making tufts of grass, off the layout, I was considering buying one. But before I went out and spent £40, I thought I would try an experiment. I connected a crocodile clip and wire to the probe inside my static grass applicator and connected it to a sheet of aluminium. I then stuck cling film to it and dropped some glue in dots and lines on the cling film. I then put static grass on another aluminium sheet, connected the original ground crocodile lead to it and then held the glued sheet upside down above it. The result is just like the video's of proprietary boxes, the grass jumps up to the plate with glue on, really straight and makes great tufts.
You could use any metal, like the lid from a chocolate box or biscuit tin or even a jam jar lid.
The point being, if you have a static grass applicator, with the addition of an extra wire and two crocodile clips and some metal sheets, then you also have a static grass/flock box!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Bufferstop

Re: Static grass box alternative

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:43 pm

I trust you are taking all precautions when handling metal sheets attached to a few kV, like discharging the leads before trying to remove them. We'll know you weren't if you turn up with a strange glow in your eyes. :mrgreen:
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “New discoveries???”