Wordsworth Model Railways

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
kaitiaki

Wordsworth Model Railways

Post by kaitiaki »

I have made the following three models from Wordsworth:-
St. Michael's Church
Mock Tudor House
North Fangore Signal Box
The quality of the resuts are excellant. The problem is that they look to be different scales I was hoping for all to match 00 scale.
Has anyone else had this problem
This is my first post so forgive me if I have not done this correctly.
Bufferstop

Re: Wordsworth Model Railways

Post by Bufferstop »

Mike works in 4mm scale (1/76th). He does sometimes apply some selective compression to make what would be very large buildings fit in the average layout. He also publishes the instructions to print out in different scales using your printer driver's scaling facility. If it fits correctly on A4 paper you have it as Mike intended.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
kaitiaki

Post by kaitiaki »

Bufferstop
Thank you for your response. I downloaded the three models without any scale adjustment. The signal box is 10.2cm high the Tudor house is 7.5cm high and the church body is 7.4cm. This makes the signal box much higher than a house or a church and the house higher than the church. I think I will have to find some other solution to this problem. :?
Lembras

Post by Lembras »

When I build a cardboard model, I resize it with Windows Paint (if necessary). But before printing anything in color, I do some "blank tests" (as you can see below) to be really sure of the dimensions. If you don't do that you can empty a color ink cartridge in a few seconds! Hope that helps.
BLANK TEST.jpg
BLANK TEST.jpg (13.47 KiB) Viewed 1783 times
Regards,
Chris
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I would guess that the small to medium sized signal box which I visited frequently as a youngster would be a touch larger than a pair of 1950s semi's, perhaps not in front to back, but certainly in height and the frontage to the track. When completing a scene there are two approaches to take. One is to measure out true to scale everything in the area, even for a small branch line station this can take up an enormous amount of space, or restrict what you model to the bare minimum (the nothing outside the fences strategy). The other way is to employ strategic compression, in which the signal box, which is very close to the trains, is modelled true to scale, the buildings in the background are made smaller, windows, doors etc kept close to scale but the whole structure being much smaller.
It's been going on for years, the Dapol structure kits were originally made by Airfix in the 1950s, compare their signal box (a pretty acurate representation of the one at Oakham crossing) with the half timbered inn. It would be pretty cosy in the public bar when scaled up to 305mm/foot.
There's a long running discussion on "Railway Modelling as an art" even had a thread on here at one stage, what to include, what to leave out, what to shrink and what to emphasise are all decisions that are made by an artist, not by a model engineer.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
kaitiaki

Post by kaitiaki »

Thank you Lembras I will try that.
Lembras

Post by Lembras »

Something like that...
The Wordsworth Model Railways model:
Capture.JPG
The blank test model: