At long last, I can make my 009 layout.

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
sir hayden

At long last, I can make my 009 layout.

Post by sir hayden »

With the advent of the 009 R-T-R Quarry Hunslet 0-4-0STs, FR Bug Box coaches, and various other r-t-r wagons and coaches, I can finally venture into making my 009 layout, I'm very excited, I already got one of the Peco slate truck packs purchased as of today, my layout will be a slate quarry and will double as a heritage railway, will provide pics when I start my progress of the layout, and possibly make some vids for my channel too.
Mountain

Re: At long last, I can make my 009 layout.

Post by Mountain »

Go for it! Dont forget that you can mix locos, coaches and wagons from H0e as these dont look out of scale in narrow gauge form.. Back when I went into 009, the only option for ready made items were to use H0e, and good stuff it was too!
sir hayden

Post by sir hayden »

When I wanted to start my 009 layout, I was optimg for kits, never again that was a mistake on my part for loco kits, rolling stock kits I can do though.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Ah.. Case of dont run before you walk.? :D Actually, move up a scale to 0-16.5 and kits become relatively easy. 009 things are much smaller! One could do with tiny fingers.. :lol: I gave my H0e collection to a friend as he started building a line alongside his 00 gauge. He started also making 009 kits. I admire his work but wouldn't want to do it myself. When I started kit and scratchbuilding in 0-16.5 it felt liberating. Was like I could now breathe while building!
b308

Post by b308 »

At least over the past few years RTR in OO9 has increased considerably. TBH there's not much difference between kit building in OO9 and O-16.5 as you don't need to add as much detail.

I would repeat what I've said to you in the past, if you are modelling in OO9/HOe join the OO9 Society, apart from the help you'll get through the connections you will also save your subs with the savings you make buying through the Society, they sell Minitrains stuff cheaper than shops and much of their stuff can be used for OO9 as that's the scale Minitrains use for much of their stock.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I dont add that much detail in 0-16.5.. :D
I know that when I used to kit build in 00 that just having the larger scale was easier despite them using the same chassis. I have large fingers so to go small is not as easy. Also seeing what one is doing while painting.
Ready made models it hardly matters, and there have been huge advances in the last few years with 009 in this respect.
My thoughts on ready to run models in 0-16.5 are twofold. On the one hand, it will open up this scale to modellers who would not have considered it, but on the other hand (I know this may sound self centred) that I'd be saddened as it kinda spoils the adventure that I and others enjoy in this scale. There is something rather special in modelling in a scale and gauge that is easy to model in (Due to the huge choice in 00 gauge chassis and the 7mm scale support of other items due to the popularity of 0 gauge models), and yet offers something personal and special to ones specific little railway.
True, even if all items one buys in ones chosen gauge and scale are in ready built form, every layout will be unique in itself.

Back to 009. I'm actually really impressed with what is now available and almost available but coming soon, in this gauge and scale.
The little quarry locos being proposed (Are they in the shops yet?) really look the part.
b308

Post by b308 »

As this thread is about OO9 I don't feel its right to start discussing O scale so i won't. Or which is better. The decision in this case has already been made! I'll reply to that post on your thread, Mountain.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=52316&p=644365#p644365
Last edited by b308 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sir hayden

Post by sir hayden »

I hsve a job now so I might consider it down the line this time as back then I didn't have a job or access to using a bank for out of USA purchasing till roughly 2 years ago, my first loco is the WHR liveried Bachmann 009 Baldwin 10-12-D 4-6-0T, the next locos will be the upcoming 009 Bachmann Quarry Hunslet 0-4-0STs, so I'm verrrry excited.
Last edited by sir hayden on Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b308

Post by b308 »

You might have a bit of a wait for the Hunslets, SH, I doubt they'll be around before mid 2019.

In the meantime you can get the Bachmann USA Skarloey and Rheneas which, despite their little faces, are accurate models of Tallylyn prototypes and can easily be repainted and a new smokebox door added! Both should be available over there quite easily and will get you started with nice, smooth running, models...

As I've mentioned before several of the Minitrains range is nearer OO9 than HOe and you'll find them for similar prices and they are excellent runners.
sir hayden

Post by sir hayden »

I do eventually plan to get the Skarloey Railway models, I'm hoping they announce one of the other steamies, and some coaching stock too when Bachmann Trains makes their announcements next month.
b308

Post by b308 »

So far they've used re-badged Peco products for the rolling stock... Let me know when they announce something, on NGRM they seem to think Rusty the diesel will be next!
sir hayden

Post by sir hayden »

Rusty was announced last year, so Luke, Sir Handel, Peter Sam, or Duncan are next, Bachmann UK's 009 Slate Wagon pack is being done from the Bachmann Trains Skarloey Railway Slate Cars released last year, I have 8 of the weathered slate wagon 3 packs on order with the Quarry Hunslets and ALR coaches.
sir hayden

Post by sir hayden »

Update, I've pre-orded the GVT Baldwin and Ffestiniog Railway preserved LYD Manning Wardle 2-6-2T plus L&B Bogie Goods Brake Van, also the book of Quarry Hunslets and Bachmann 2018/2019 catalogue, will be ordering some narrow gauge modelling books so I can figure out some good layout ideas.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

There are many good narrow gauge books out there. Some give such an in depth picture of certain lines that one almost could be in the very location at the time it was written. What sort of books have caught your eye?
sir hayden

Post by sir hayden »

The Quarry Hunslets of North Wales is one book, I was able to get that ordered on Amazon today, I'm mainly looking for one that talks about Welsh slate quarries.