OO Terriers - Dapol v. Hornby

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Mountain

Re: OO Terriers - Dapol v. Hornby

Post by Mountain »

Reminds me... National green day tomorrow where everyone needs to wear green to show support.
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Mountain wrote:Who ended up with the old Triang cast metal wagon chassis and coach (That had the cast metal bogies) moulds? I've not noticed any of these come back onto the market. They'd be ideal to bring back for children to use. Something solid.
Nominally with Hornby on the basis of the Triang> Triang-Hornby > Hornby evolution however it may be unlikely they still exist.
GWR_fan wrote:A sensible person would think that when a manufacturer announces a new product far superior to a product that is basically unchanged for thirty odd years that the older product would see a price reduction in the market. The current high prices for old Terriers is ridiculous. The same for the 14XX and Dean Goods when released older Dapol and Hornby models increased in price. Prices for older 14XX and Dean Goods are approaching that of their DJModels and Oxford Rail counterparts. Has the market gone loony (tomorrow is April 1st!!!!!!!).
The cost of assembly is a significant factor with increasing labour costs, many older models are more complex assemblies which require more manual labour. Hornby do however give a price of £44.99 for their remotored ex Dapol modified Airfix model of the 14xx compared to £99 for the Hattons DJM one.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Mike,
while most likely not evident to some, my reference was to secondhand items even though I did state quote: "The current high prices for old Terriers is ridiculous. The same for the 14XX and Dean Goods when released older Dapol and Hornby models increased in price. Prices for older 14XX and Dean Goods are approaching that of their DJModels and Oxford Rail counterparts. Has the market gone loony (tomorrow is April 1st!!!!!!!) end quote.

I was not referring to a newly released dumbed down model with design defects built to a low price and reflecting the quality or lack thereof.

I just checked the Hattons website and of the 27 pre-owned Hornby Terriers, 23 are priced at GBP60.00 and above. Hattons new price for the Terrier is GBP72.00.
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Hattons second hand prices are generally on the high side and at times are higher priced than that of an equivalent brand new model, I would not take their pricing to be any indication of what a model is worth - more like a lot of items on ebay is that they are hoping someone who has not researched the model well will pay. New models are not necessarily dumbed down, it a case that more attention is being paid to simplifying what previously were unnecessarily complex rubik cube like assemblies that simply increases production costs; anyone who has tried to get in a Bachmann 4 2-6-4T will know what I mean.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Mike Parkes wrote:Hattons second hand prices are generally on the high side and at times are higher priced than that of an equivalent brand new model, I would not take their pricing to be any indication of what a model is worth - more like a lot of items on ebay ........
For many who do not have access to swap meets and club days, Hattons and eBay are the usual source of pre-owned models. Rails have priced themselves out of pre-owned models on eBay as have many private sellers, thus apart from auction only items, Hattons is the "price setter". When the Bachmann Thompson coach was recently released the price of the older somewhat inferior model went skyward at Hattons for pre-owned. Just the mention of a new Bullied coach had the pre-owned prices at the store escalating. The popularity (and scarceness) of the Peckett saw the venerable old Pug seeing a revival in price, similarly the Terrier, 14XX (try buying the last released 14XX from Hornby - rarer than a first release Peckett), J94 and Dean Goods. My thinking is that the availability of a newer model should in theory see a price reduction in the market for the item it replaces, but alas, the market reflects otherwise.

I have followed prices on both eBay and Hattons pre-owned site for some years and as new release items make it to the market, the inferior model they replace suddenly increases in price.
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Its the collectors market theory that an item no longer in production is scarce and then is worth a lot more, rather than simply being old stock to be cleared cheaply. A good example of this was a Bachmann Mk1 BG in a particular livery which had sold out, prices went sky high even for tatty second hand items, and then Bachmann did a new run off it and various people were still trying to get £££+ more for the original release than you could buy the new model. Cannot see anyone seriously thinking is good to save a few quid on buying a second hand terriers than a new one unless they really want a specific livery.