8x2 00 new layout

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
swiftbeam

8x2 00 new layout

Post by swiftbeam »

Hi Guys,

I have a big project on the go, a 20x2 layout for exhibitions based on Toddington, I've got as far as the adjustable base boards.

However, I need a quicker project so I can take something closer to finished for a show in the summer and for me to play with in the loft :D

I'd like to make an 8x2 with a curved background. The model would be of a sleepy country station cameo, but I'd like to have an engine shed and a 3-4 coach platform. The layout will be a 'through' run with fiddle yard turn tables either end to turn whole trains. I'd like a passing loop and some sidings offering opportunities for a little playing about, a chance for the public to watch light engines move about, possibly shunting coaches?

Would anybody be able to help me design (by computer program) a track plan based on a 2x8?

Thanks.
Mountain

Re: 8x2 00 new layout

Post by Mountain »

I can't help with the computer side of things. Though when cad cam first came out I was trained on it, it was years ago now so dont remember much!
My layout is a inch or two short of 7ft x 2ft built onto two boards. It is in 7mm narrow gauge, built for fun. I include a PIC below of what is possible, though at the moment it is in a track on a board stage.
Are you thinking of an end to end type in 00?
Attachments
IMG_20171027_170232.jpg
swiftbeam

Post by swiftbeam »

Hi,

Thank you for the pic.

It will be 00, It will be a through type layout with an in and out and marshalling yards off scene at each end. These yards will rotate so the trains can run back through the scene.

I'm OK with building th layout, that's the easy bit, my problem is the imagination and knowing what would go where. I'm thinking I may just make a cut down model of Heighley at the SVR as I have a spare full Heighley station 8)
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

That is probably a good plan to go for, especially as you already have a station. It would be easier to base the idea on the station and add a bridge either side with some modellers licence. I was in my teens when I travelled the line so I dont remember the middle stations except I remember the name. I went from Bewdley to Bridgenorth and back with a model railway society.
Good luck with the idea. :)
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

Hello swiftbeam.
You have some interesting ideas there, and I might be able to sketch up some ideas.

Thoughts (only that)
A station big or busy enough to need its own loco, with shed, isn't going to be that sleepy!
Some industry, or a branch junction might be expected.
Or a private owner loco fetching and delivering to an exchange siding or two.

Four shorter (57ft = 9") coaches plus a tank engine would mean looking at 4ft turntables, making for a 16ft layout.

I'd be tempted to suggest a terminus, and one train turntable, but with this terminus having two arrival lines.
One scenario would be the "harbour branch" which would take most but not all of the freight (this turning at the terminus.)
Passenger services might be none, or workmens' trains, or...

An alternate would be if it was the continued "main line" but with a reverse of direction. Several such stations existed.

Just thinking,
Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
swiftbeam

Post by swiftbeam »

Thank you for those ideas Emettman,

I like the idea of sea :D

I was also thinking if I were to make it Highley, with careful planing I could join it to my 'to be made' 20x2 Toddington, making a monster 28 foot exhibition layout of two semi real places with a break between them??

I'll be buying and making the the woodwork tomorrow and over the weekend :D
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

Can't help much but am looking forward to seeing both layouts, both lovely stations. You might be interested to know there is already a model layout of Toddington station, on display at... Winchcombe station!
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
swiftbeam

Post by swiftbeam »

I went to Toddington again last Wednesday to photo everything. Ian, the guy that showed me around did say there was a model on site. There were no trains running when I was there, but next time I go, I'll stop at Winchcombe and have a look 8)
swiftbeam

Post by swiftbeam »

To be honest, I'm struggling a bit. Highley is big and it's taking up too much room :(

Does anybody have some real pics of sleepy GWR stations with a passing loop and some sidings?

I've been Google surfing for hours and can not find inspiration .

I've also discovered 8x2 is very small for 00.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Narberth? Aberaeron? Bronwydd Arms? Cardigan. Templeton? Wolfs Castle? Johnston? Though more LMS with a hint of GWR, Pantyffynnon.
swiftbeam

Post by swiftbeam »

Awesome, thanks :D

I will lok into those. I used to live in Johnston, 7 years !!!
But that was during the 90's.
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

I've had a browse, firstly by images, and then pecking at this site:
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/

It needs somewhere where the goods sidings are alongside the station, not a train's length or more along the line.
And anything big enough to have an engine shed is tending to be too big.

This at least had a nice overbridge right at one end of the compact station.
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/cr ... ndex.shtml

8ft in OO IS small for a prototype station!

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
End2end

Post by End2end »

swiftbeam wrote:I've also discovered 8x2 is very small for 00.
Yes, yes it is. One of my layout boards is 8 x 2 alone. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
swiftbeam

Post by swiftbeam »

It kills me to see these beautiful stations destroyed. My dream is to live in a GWR station and to see them wrecked and trashed is awful :(

Thanks for all the help, I will dig through these links :D
End2end

Post by End2end »

It's funny you should say that swiftbeam. I was in Devon last week and managed to grab a bite at Okehampton station (now a heritage line but no trains were running on the day I visited).
The large engine shed has been turned into a youth hostel. :)

By the by, the sandwiches at the station cafe were so big you couldn't call them doorsteps. More like ....PLATFORMS! :lol:
DSCF8419.JPG
DSCF8419.JPG (82.56 KiB) Viewed 3218 times
And that homemade pickle!!!!!! MMMMMMMMMMMMM :mrgreen:
Followed by the obligatory cream tea.....now which way does the jam and cream go on in this county. :? :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread