PNP's O-16.5 Workbench

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
PinkNosedPenguin

Re: PNP's O-16.5 Workbench

Post by PinkNosedPenguin »

A little bit of weathering, and testing of lights both outside and inside:
PinkNosedPenguin

Post by PinkNosedPenguin »

With the warehouses pretty much completed, my thoughts are turning to ground works. Cobbles. To this end I purchased a handy tool from a regular on the NGRM forum which arrived as a brass etch for home assembly:

The instructions say to solder the pieces together, but being a bit of a wuss with a soldering iron (I can do electrics, but never tried a metal kit), I decided to use superglue :D. Luckily the pieces went together without problem:

The tabs are intended to stick out, to be trimmed after assembly. I did this with Xuron rail cutters and then filed them flush:

The tool is of course an embossing tool. So I decided to try it out on some trial pieces of DAS. The imprints were quite easy to make as long as careful alignment is maintained:

One piece was painted with different light greys before a dark wash was applied to seep into the crevices. The other piece was just washed onto the bare clay. In real life they differ (not so much in the photo) - I prefer the former, as on the latter the wash soaked into the clay more, resulting in a darker overall appearance with less variation in colour:

It looks good enough to me, so I think it'll do for a roadway crossing the tracks to provide access to the warehouses.
GeraldH

Post by GeraldH »

Some excellent miniature carpentry there and the cobbles really look the part.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854