Llwyndrissi Halt.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Mountain

Re: Llwyndrissi Halt.

Post by Mountain »

The latest items have arrived ready to go through the Mountain Goat Carriage & Waggon Works workshops....

They are in various conditions. None of them quite ready for use so will need various jobs from refits to rebuilds to satisfy the managing director and various staff before they eventually go out into traffic, though the diesel shunter will not need much. Buffers and couplings to the company standard, and check she runs ok. Shouldn't take much as the fitters are well trained! :D :D :D :D
Attachments
IMG_20240308_144748_kindlephoto-1505731809.jpg
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

heda wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:40 pm Not wanting to hijack Mountains thread but for anyone interested in the mines I would recommend a visit to the big pit. I visited a few years ago while researching my family tree. My grandparents and great grandparents on my mothers side all worked down the mines, not a pleasant job.
Dave

Highlights - Big Pit National Coal Museum
Someone I know owns a loco near there. I went with him to take parts up for it. We saw the other railway locos and things. We didn't go as far as the mine. There are a good group of people up there, and when I was there there was much laughter and amusement when someone saw a large radiator roof grill on ebay which would work on one of his mates diesel locos, so he bid and he bid and the price went up and up... Finally he gave in, and while they were there he said to his mate who owns the loco how he had tried to get him the roof grill.
His mate said "That was me you were bidding against! You should have rang me so I could have had it cheaper!" It was an amusing end to a nice day!
Phred

Post by Phred »

Mountain wrote:
"That was me you were bidding against!
:lol:
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

I see that more rolling stock has arrived at Llwyndrissi Halt. :D

You can never have too much (so I tell myself). :lol: :lol:

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

glencairn wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:48 am I see that more rolling stock has arrived at Llwyndrissi Halt. :D

You can never have too much (so I tell myself). :lol: :lol:

Glencairn
Want some more? :D
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

IMG_20240315_160003_kindlephoto-1843831917.jpg
More recent arrivals...

I'm having fun here! A nice weighty loco which should pull some lengthy trains. She needs a name! :D

I "Might" leave the kadee style coupling on but not sure. If I leave it on she can be used for coupling to other kadees.
The rear is one of those slotted pin type couplings found on narrow gauge prototypes. May add a drop loop to the back, though with my curves, the slotted pin type coupling needs to be further out on the bufferbeam. It can act as a buffer and a slotted pin. We shall see!
Last edited by Mountain on Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

IMG_20240315_160013_kindlephoto-1843791158.jpg
This one I think is clever. Started life as a Lima 0-4-0 diesel and shows what can be done on a restricted budget. It is inspirational. Does need me to fit couplings and find some room for some additional weight... But is a lovely little thing!
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

IMG_20240315_161741_kindlephoto-1844826102.jpg
This is the back coupling. It may have a technical name to it. Not knowing its technical name, I called it slotted pin as a pin goes down the hole to hold a drawbar or a chain to couple to other vehicles.
Phred

Post by Phred »

That last coupling looks really interesting. I'd be tempted to make up some sort of match truck just to suit it.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I can ask thee guy I bought it from about that. Think they are available from one small company or another. Lots of bits and pieces can be found like that.
I may put the coupling on the front of a little diesel instead? I do not know at the moment, escept I can easily use them with a drop loop which I am not sure I can do with a kadee... Though it might be possible... But the kadee would need to act as a kind of buffer. Not sure if it can do that. Need to examine it further. Easy to put a form of hook above the kadee which is all I need for drop loops to couple onto, though drop loop couplings and their buffers do tend to make vehicles close coupled, so this needs to be checked as well.
I may have to move that rear coupling out a little so bodies of vehicles don't touch on my sharp curves, so may as well move it to a little diesel shunter. We shall see!
I wonder if I can buy any more of them. Are they called link pin couplings? I am not sure. I can ask!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I don't know. if the coupling has a name, but you'll find it on all sorts of (small) construction equipment. I think the three slots are to allow for the coupling eye being at a vertical angle to the slot. Making the slot taller would allow coupling but introduce additional play. You only have to look at the area around the coupling on one of the little tubs, to see how much of a hammering the coupling takes.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Bufferstop wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:20 pm I don't know. if the coupling has a name, but you'll find it on all sorts of (small) construction equipment. I think the three slots are to allow for the coupling eye being at a vertical angle to the slot. Making the slot taller would allow coupling but introduce additional play. You only have to look at the area around the coupling on one of the little tubs, to see how much of a hammering the coupling takes.
Do you mean one would normally pick a slot lower than level on the locomotive?
Phred

Post by Phred »

Mountain wrote:
I may put the coupling on the front of a little diesel instead?
That would actually look really good on the front of a small diesel.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I was thinking that, and I can also add a pin with a small loop at the top end to go down it and also add a drop loop, so that I can couple as well to other vehicles which have a protruding point on their buffer or somewhere else. The good thing about making drop loops is that they do couple to a number of different coupling types though some may need adapting with some sort of protruding pin or point.

Here is a photo showing coupled waggons. The two skip waggons of various sizes (Rusty looking one is new to my collection) are not coupled but do have pins sticking up, so all I have to do is make little ovals of wire to couple them. Easy to do. I may either have little chains fastened somewhere to these ovals so they don't go astray (When I make them) or I will design and make some sort of drop loop. I took the photo by a Gnomy truck as a size reference as someone I know has one, and wanted to know the size that 7mm scale narrow gauge is (0-16.5).
IMG_20240316_232754_kindlephoto-1921950428.jpg
Waggons 06 and 08 have real rusty bodies, as where I was living things rusted fast, so all I had to do is leave old tin outside for a few months (A week or two if I rubbed salt into it) and it would go rusty. The only downside is rust holes do eventually appear, but I can always make another body when they do! They run on old Triang bogies with modern wheels slid onto the Triang axles, not forgetting to use pieces of plastic drinks straw to use as spacers to stop the wheels sliding sideways and hitting the frames.
Last edited by Mountain on Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

IMG_20240316_235131_kindlephoto-1923466350.jpg
IMG_20240316_235231_kindlephoto-1923418064.jpg
Some more photos. Excuse the paper "Brake" under one of the waggons in one photo.

I added the black wooden waggon as it shows the drop loop better. The drop loops hinge upwards over the buffers so they can loop over the protruding point on another waggons buffer. As long as they drop without touching the track, and they can swing past the buffer they work fine. Hard to see the drop loop on the loco as it is painted black.