WORKING TRAMS-OO/HO-Cheap!

Enter this forum if you wish to help the growth of New Railway Modellers.
rogerabbit

WORKING TRAMS-OO/HO-Cheap!

Post by rogerabbit »

1.jpg
1.jpg (58.16 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
I've always fancied a couple of trams running around in the city area of my new layout. I looked into it and could find only extremely expensive models (way beyond my budget) or complicated instructions for motorising static models (way beyond my level of skill). Then I came across these. As the company which makes them is little known I thought I would share this with you. Mehano is based in Slovakia, formerly producing low quality models - equivalent perhaps to early Lima - but recently improving their range for the European market. I spotted a tram and dummy on an auction site and took a chance. The models I received were extremely interesting.

Firstly they run off 12v DC. I expected to have to search for proprietary track but found they ran perfectly well on Hornby rails, picking up power from the track. Had plenty of this so it was a pleasant surprise. Plugged in an old cheapo Hornby controller and off they went. The motor is 'Lima-like' - rugged, quite well made and, though pretty old, ran well at slow speed. I have pictured it because I'm sure there are those among you who, unlike me, are skilled in the area of electrics. It's a 'worm driven' affair - similar to earlyish Hornby in tanks and suchlike - so that I reckon if you acquired a non runner you could adapt a Hornby motor - if you had the know-how.
Motor.png
Motor.png (478.75 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
At first sight this model looks like a toy. I've pictured the original. It is produced in 'My Little Pony' coloured plastics and Mehano has printed little black silhouetted figures in the windows - pretty dreadful. But when you look closely, the moulding is not bad at all and the model bears comparison with period trams in use all over Europe. I've pictured some. I looked at liveries and the most common city colour combination by far was yellow and white as illustrated. And this would contrast well with locos on my layout. So I repainted them, sprayed the roofs silver, replaced the glazing and fitted a few passengers and a driver. What appears to be two holes in the yellow sections of the tram sides are the primative clips which attach the body to the chassis. Fortunately they are perfectly placed to cover with advertising posters which will actually improve the model and which I'll add when I find some.
Original.jpg
Original.jpg (138.55 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
Trams Europe.png
Trams Europe.png (812.37 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
Despite being inexpensive the drive car is lit - a nice little bonus. I find it difficult to understand why British manufacturers STILL don't give us lit locos as standard. Marklin have been doing it since the fifties. And new locos cost a fortune. But I digress. Because these models are cheaply produced the light shines through the plastic like a lampshade! But it was a fairly easy job to mask and seal off the driver with card and insulating tape - a technique I use in my buildings. I saw no point in lighting the motor in the drive-car!
2a.jpg
2a.jpg (44.8 KiB) Viewed 3911 times
And that was about it. I bought these for less than twenty pounds and needed no extra kit to get them running. I shall bury the track in road to achieve the streetcar look. The scale is classified HO - but separated from rail track, locos, coaches and trucks, in my opinion, these would not look at all out of place on an OO layout.

Worth thinking about perhaps - if you have room for them.
Emettman

Re: WORKING TRAMS-OO/HO-Cheap!

Post by Emettman »

I saw a couple of (currently) cheap ones
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEHANO-HO-BRI ... SwUIhZYgiQ

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEHANO-HO-BOE ... SwhilZYgnR

But from other listings it does seem to be about being lucky

Another route might be for non-powered HO/OO models or kits finished as narrow gauge (9mm)
Good and economical motor units are available from Kato, and very nice embedded track from them and Tomix.

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
End2end

Post by End2end »

Bachmann also made one under the title of BRILL TROLLEY.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

The Brill Trolley sold by Bachmann almost exactly matches the style of the tram described here even down to the silhouettes on the windows, these regularly used to appear in shops for just under £20 but rarely in anyone's price lists. I was tempted, but resisted the urge to to buy one, just to see what the shadows o the windows were hiding inside. Now I know :) I did buy an Atlas diecast HO tram which I mounted on a Kato N gauge chassis which makes it somewhat underscale for a metre gauge tram but is an easy conversion. The long wheelbase 4 wheel chassis which is available from PLAZAJAPAN on ebay or http://www.wellingtonmodels.com/ in the UK, appears to be the one that hides in the coach of the Kato N gauge Thomas set.
Fitting the chassis into the Diecast body required a bit of butchery, but nothing too technically testing. Adapting an all plastic kit of an 00 prototype would be even easier. Whilst many UK tramway systems ran on 3'6" tracks so as to fit in our narrow streets, the 9mm track is quite a lot closer to that beneath the cut down versions on the Seaton Tramway.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Somewhere I have a Bachmann cablecar. I managed to adapt it to take corners. It will do 2nd rad curves and just about a first radius curve if I remember correctly. As standard it does not do curves but neither did the prototype as far as I am aware.
SRman

Post by SRman »

These can be found cheaply on occasions.

I have also seen double deck conversions using the same trams, with alternate pillars cut out to give larger windows. All in all, useful little models with lots of potential for a modeller with an inventive streak.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

The Bachmann cablecar is a real long runner. P.D.Hancock had one on his "Craig and Mertonford Railway" and that was many many years ago. As that used 9mm gauge well before the advent of N he must have put it on his own bogies to get around the corners.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
End2end

Post by End2end »

I came across these after a ride on the Soller railway in Mallorca.
I wondered if you could paint them to give the same teak apperance but that motor is just so intrusive with no way I can hide it sadly.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

What is good is the cable car can make a decent 009 coach. I saw such a conversion once in a magazine.
rogerabbit

Post by rogerabbit »

Hello End2end

If you check out my article entitled LNER COACHES - IMPROVING OLD HORNBY MODELS on this site it features a fabulous set of wood effect paints which could be used to great effect on this model. On the motor issue, I found that reglazing (as described) and locating a few seated passengers next to the windows diverted the eye from the motor. And as the motor is placed centrally in the tram it is largely in darkness. Can't lose the thing altogether but it can be disguised. Frosted glazing (as used in some Marklin models) is also an option.

And thanks for your post.