Dapol Black Label Locos

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
mjb1961

Dapol Black Label Locos

Post by mjb1961 »

Hi ,,,,,,contacted Dapol via email today about these locos ,,,,especially the mallard ,,none available through the shop due to sold out ,,but they did say that they have a few refurbished mallards @ £300 ,,,,also they said that the club membership ( 15% ) discount can be used against ONE black label loco ,,,,,,,,,hopefully this bit of info may be helpful to someone,,,,,mjb
D605Eagle

Re: Dapol Black Label Locos

Post by D605Eagle »

I wonder what % are just sat on shelves gathering dust?
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Far and away the majority I reckon. Online discussion of use and operational issues very scant indeed = collector purchases.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

I have to say that I spent a long time comparing the Black Label Golden Eagle in LNER Green with my Gloss finish Hornby Osprey in the same livery and I found it very hard to find any difference in the look. I know the Black Label has sound and smoke and light up lights, but what use is that on a shelf?
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

It offers no improvement over the Hornby A4 model's major shape deficiency, the lack of the 'roll under' of the cylinders; and overall is less convincing compared to the prototype in my opinion. (Something not quite right around the cab.)

We'll find out if it has been a commercial success by the evidence of releases. If there are more A4s and then introductions of further prototypes then clearly it will have been a paying proposition for Dapol. (I'd guess at the streamlined Princess Coronation, and Bulleid air smoothed pacifics as the other classes with the sufficiently large and 'solid' body shells required to pack all the kit inside and with no need for any undercut for the boiler underside and some daylight visible beneath.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

As a concept info see potential. Would I buy one? No. Can't afford it. If I could and wanted an A4 I would personally go for the Bachmann version (If it is still made) or failing that, the Hornby version if they have been sensible enough to include loco drive, as though I love the concept, and despite having many models myself, I find it something that is aimed at a collector to impress others rather then the average modeller. Having said that, I see good potential for collectors and those modellers who want to bring out something special!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Both Bachmann and Hornby produce A4 models and all are loco drive.
Hornby Railroad has the current loco body with reduced spec. and detail, the current drive with the older model's side rods, and the tender drive mouldings. (This is the type of model that so many say they want, basic but what you get is of good quality and worth working on to improve if required.)

Bachmann's A4 bodies are based on the 1960s Trix tooling, one of the longest survivors still getting releases, has their current standard drive.

Hornby's main range A4 is probably the most accurate 4mm body tooling ever offered of the class, and they cover the three major tender variants, including the raked 'coach ended' streamlined tenders of the original silver quartet - which is nice.

There's a ton of previous generation RTR A4 models available s/h of course: the Bachmann with a split chassis, Hornby with the tender drive; so neither of them up to current standard in mechanism longevity and running quality respectively.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Ah. Hornby used to be tender drive with their A4 which is why I never bought one. I had two kings at one point (One Hornby and one Lima) and they didn't look the part with tender wheelslip on heavy trains!
mjb1961

Post by mjb1961 »

Well I finally plucked up the courage and bought a black label mallard ( refurbished) ,ordered it over the phone along with an extra bottle of steam oil ,,,should be here in a couple of days ,,,mjb :D :D
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Do tell about it once you have had it in your hands a few days and given it some running.
mjb1961

Post by mjb1961 »

Bigmet wrote:Do tell about it once you have had it in your hands a few days and given it some running.
Will do ,,
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Do you have a modern Hornby A4 to compare it with when you have it? The price you paid is not that much more than a sound fitted DCC Hornby A4, plus you get shmoke and lights too. I'm glad you're going to run it instead of stuff it on a shelf ;)
mjb1961

Post by mjb1961 »

Hi,,She arrived this morning,,,extremely well packed ,,I haven't run her yet but will do later or tomorrow and will report back ,,but for a refurbished model ,if I didn't already know I wouldn't of known ,,,,the mallard is in mint condition ,,,so is the box ,nothing missing either,,,certificate,instructions,receipt,,everything there ,,,so far very pleased ,also the warranty is a fresh 2 years ,,,,although after 1year I will be asked to send the loco for a service ,to dcc supplies ,,it will cost £15 and that will give you the other 1 year warranty,,if you don't then you don't get the 2nd year ,this clause is for all ,,brand new or refurbished,,,if anyone fancies a refurbished black label mallard give Dapol a ring ,,,,,,look out for a running review,,,,mjb
mjb1961

Post by mjb1961 »

Hi,,,gave the mallard a short test today and I must say she run beautiful straight out of the box ,added a drop of oil once heated it really does look the part hauling some teaks and the smoke streaming over the top of the loco and coaches ,,the sound is pretty awesome as well ,,,,the loco in comparison to the HORNBY R2339 I've got is as good ,the same level of detail as the HORNBY one ,,,the weight of these is ample to haul a long rake ,,,top marks from me ,,,would I recommend these black labels,,YES I would ,,,I purchased a refurbished one ,£100 cheaper than a new one,but honestly you can't tell ,,it's mint ,,,,if you fancy one of these go and get one ,,,,,,mjb
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Sounds good. Now it is out of the box I have a specific question about this model if you would care to supply an answer. How is the loco to tender coupling achieved, and does it allow the really close spacing of the prototype?