Lumsdonia R&D Dept Workbench

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
TimberSurf

Re: Lumsdonia R&D Dept Workbench

Post by TimberSurf »

Carnehan, it's easy to miss read what you said, as not quite what you meant. Obviously I did. As for the 'shop', I have just looked it up and discovered that you are spot on! It is indeed an Airfix/Dapol 'General store', not that I knew it existed, until now. As I didn't recognise it from memory of Airfix/Dapol range and it came with several other (quite definitely) continental kit built buildings I purchased on eBay, I assumed it was too. I offer my most sincere apologies to you Paul. Daum, I would not have used it, if I had thought it was that instantly recognisable :oops: :roll: !
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Timbersurf, no harm done. Turning thoughts to prose is fraught with the possibilities of being misinterpreted. In this case that's what's happened. It's an excellent build you've produced and that kit looks the part attached on to your scratchbuild.

Paul
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

So the three buildings are more or less done, the base board is painted, I have decided to mount the buildings on the board with self tappers so that maintenance can be done later. Now on to the exciting bit, an animated car lift, nah, two! First problem, a quick trial showed that the car or minivan would hit the lights! :o Hmmm.......
So now the garage is getting a lift of about 10mm by addition of a brick skirt around the bottom. This means the office is floating in air! So a ramp and a 'mound' will need to be created around it, hohum, just makes it more interesting cus it ain't all on the flat! :D . Also means steps required inside to go up to the internal connecting door to the office.
So that means I can start looking at the lifts. One will be a central hydraulic piston type made from a telescopic magnetic pick up wand, but I will start that second. The first will have four posts and be the pulley 'n' ropes type (not that it will have either). I deemed plastic too weak, so I will have to venture for the first time into brass! :shock: To be honest, I am scared stiff. The engineer in me knows I need a milling machine to make a very square jig, to assemble the frame around. No acces to a miller, so bodge jig only, possible. Seems like a lot of work for a one off. So in at the deep end, worth a punt to create freehand so to speak, with risk of complete failure costing a few pounds worth of brass. The mechanism will have a base frame with four tubes sticking up like a table. Smaller tube will slide inside. Additionally, U section will extend up above the board to conceal the rising tubes. A moving frame will hold the four small tubes rigid, that will be the part that is actuated. I am happy to report the fixed frame with four tubes is built and square, and I am half way through making the moving frame. Pics to follow
railwayjim

Post by railwayjim »

It all sounds really interesting TimberSurf, working lifts, will you be powering using servos
or have you something else in mind, always fancied working level crossing gates
using servos, but it never gets further than the thinking about it stage :wink:

JIm.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

You have given me a future idea! :D
End2end

Post by End2end »

Not sure how they work but there's an excellent car showroom here @ 12:02...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwJ3mxh-oaI
Spinning car platform and working car lift. :)

The whole video is moving items on/for a railway layout
Here is the 2nd video too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVzFH6csBhQ

There is a 3rd video but I cannot seem to find it.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

railwayjim wrote:It all sounds really interesting TimberSurf, working lifts, will you be powering using servos
or have you something else in mind, always fancied working level crossing gates
using servos, but it never gets further than the thinking about it stage :wink: JIm.
Yes I will be using a servo, not sure what will drive it yet, either build a 555 circuit or may adapt an off the shelf tester box.
Don't think! Just do!

E2E, yes, I think that video probably gave me inspiration, there is another elsewhere, but both "obscure" the mechanism which is at the back, my intent is to have a clear view through to the back, so much more realistic.
P.S. Probably me you got those vids from! Best inspiration videos :roll:
End2end

Post by End2end »

Erm....oh yeah. :oops:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

So tonight I soldered the other half of the lower frame together
Garage Four Lift Split.jpg
Garage Four Lift Split.jpg (27.8 KiB) Viewed 3182 times
and left is down and right is up
Garage Four Lift down-up.jpg
and here is the ramp that will be fixed to the top of the thinner tubes, that go up and down, inside the u shaped slots as below
Garage Four Lift leg.jpg
Garage Four Lift leg.jpg (17.77 KiB) Viewed 3182 times
I must be mad!
Ironically, for all the lack of sophisticated jigs, it is a surprisingly smooth action!
So now to work out how to make a crank and fix the servo motor to the fixed frame :?:
Attachments
Garage Four Lift Ramp.jpg
Garage Four Lift Ramp.jpg (10.34 KiB) Viewed 3182 times
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Experiments with 9g servo motors have not gone well. I think I have broken many!
Best I get one with metal gears next and do some more fine tuning to the slides to ensure an even smoother action.
At least I have proven my capabilities to solder brass work. (No, my next project is NOT a full brass engine kit! :o )
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Got some metal gear servo's on order. Found an old arial, so chopped it up, and as suspected, it is brass under the chrome, I know car aerials could be steel or stainless steel, but little portable radio ones are brass, yet to see when they arrive, if the extendable magnetic pickups are too. I have one I could chop up, but can't find it! So I can now progress the second car lift with the telescope as the hydraulic piston.
Also find a bit of thin steel tonight, just the right size, so have made the see saw frame, pivot and main beam. Need to adapt some figures and attach.
PaulTable

Post by PaulTable »

I have just read this entire thread and have to say it's very impressive and full of ideas to copy and use on my layout, thank you for posting and giving inspiration for me ( and others I'm sure)as I am just beginning in this hobby, even though I've had model railway stuff in boxes for years I now have the opportunity to get "stuck in". I'm very interested in your moving "cameo" pieces and wonder if there is even more detail you wish to pass on as to how best to create the movement your magnificent ingenuity has created.
Thank you
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Hello PaulTable and welcome to the forum. :D Thanks for the kind words, it's great if I inspire others, it's why I post on here, worts n all, to show what's possible with a little ingenuity and guidance from others. Don't be shy to ask questions and have a look at my other threads and my website (most of it is for beginners) {click the Lumsdonia sign}
I have seen many "animations" on layouts at numerous exhibitions and keep going back to Best inspiration videos

The telescopic car lift has come to life tonight, testing has proved the idea works, just need to make more permanent linkages and a frame for the servo.
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

The single point hydraulic car lift is now made and working, just needs a paint job, some pads on the corners and fixing to the diorama. That will have to wait until the four post lift is working satisfactorily so they can both be integrated at the same time, as they will sit very close to each other. I am just driving with my servo tester at the moment, but will need to devise a circuit to drive it and make it a bit random, as to when it moves. It's a bit rough and ready, but heres the video. Hydraulic Car Lift
Hydraulic lift.jpg
Last edited by TimberSurf on Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mumbles

Post by mumbles »

Excellent.stuff. seems to be a little twist at the end though? Doesn't stop it being awesome but I guess you are trying to iron that out?