Articles which have been added to the main site
Metrocamel

NRM Review- Bachmann Class 66

Post by Metrocamel »

Bachmann Class 66
66612 Forth Raider at rest.

Name- Class 66 Locomotive.

Manufacturer- Bachmann.

Liveries produced- EWS, Freightliner, GBRF. Locos produced with various numbers and names.

Class History- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_66

Notes- A Bachmann built Class 66 is now available in EWS livery with inbuilt DCC sound.

Available from- Most stockists. Hattons sell the Class 66 for a good price http://www.ehattons.com/default.aspx

Upgrading the model- Expressmodels for some interesting lighting options http://www.expressmodels.co.uk/

The Bachmann Class 66 is a great model and a must for any modern image layout. It has excellent detailing features such as a crewman in the cab at one end, meshed grilles on the roof and sprung buffers. Detailing parts are provided but in my opinion add little but trouble to the model. The model runs superbly. It makes a powerful sounding noise as it gets going and although it has only pulled as many as nine average size four axle hoppers it shows that it is capable of alot more. Slow speed control is great and all wheel drive and pickups mean stalling is not a problem. There are no traction tyres. With drive to all twelve wheels they aren't needed. Lighting is in the form of red tail lights and a top lamp with headlights on either end. The tail lights will light on whichever end tails the Loco while the top light and one of the headlights will light (which one depend on the night and day settings) at the leading end.

The setting is controlled using a switch under the model. The lights are very good quality and in the blue white colour which is more realistic than yellow. They will brighten at higher speeds but are mostly constant.

Pulling wagons this loco is very reliable. It's couplings are NEM design and so do cause some problems such as the couplings missing or coming loose. The Loco seems very powerful and as such would likely pull far greater than the nine wagons tested. Bachmann included etched nameplates with my model to go over the painted ones. I chose not to add these. The livery is very sharp. Freightliner in my opinion suits this Loco best. There are alot of good touches such as horn grilles and chain couplings which make the model look that bit better.

On gradients this model has not been tested but my best guess would be that they would impact it's performance due to it's reasonably heavy weight. Points are usually no problem and after a few adjustments to the track the Loco ran smoothly though all of the points.
Headlights.
Tailights.

Overall this is a great Loco and a balance between pulling power, reliability, realism and detail are what makes it. If you're looking for a powerful heavy freight loco for modern image then look no further than the Bachmann Class 66.

Rating-
Good points- Reliable, powerful, well detailed, variety of liveries and numbers, individual names, directional lights, DCC ready.

Bad points- Coupling problems.
"Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes"
Layout updated 18/10/09!
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 67#p215267
rmg1919

Post by rmg1919 »

Excellent review. I want one... In fact I want several!
Metrocamel

Post by Metrocamel »

Double heading Class 66 Locos would be good.
"Out of commission become a pillbox, out of ammo become a bunker, out of time... become heroes"
Layout updated 18/10/09!
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 67#p215267
Class 60

Post by Class 60 »

Great Review there Metro 8)
mortyfootball

Post by mortyfootball »

Excellent review there Metro,

Shaun
Currently on the rails with my camera
suchahampal

Post by suchahampal »

Nice Review Metro! :D
Ijdagger

Post by Ijdagger »

your back then, knew it wouldnt be long.

Welcome back

Nice review aswell, got me tempted
chris_james_tunnock

Post by chris_james_tunnock »

Ijdagger wrote:your back then, knew it wouldnt be long.

Welcome back

Welcome!
Chris
suchahampal

Post by suchahampal »

Well to be honest...I couldn't resist coming back. I like being in this forum. :)
British Rail

Post by British Rail »

Hi , excellent review there I want one especially the freightliner ones even though im a BR fan!!!

Cheers

BR

Post by 47806 »

Rather than starting a new thread, I though I would post my thoughts about the EWS version here.

(If the mods think it should be elsewhere, please move it)

Bachmann ‘shed’ should be more popular than the prototype
Thomas Blampied Investigates Bachmann’s latest Class 66

Product: 66068 in EWS livery
Scale: OO
Manufacturer: Bachmann Europe PLC - bachmann.co.uk
Product number: 32-733
MSRP: £80

When Britain’s railways were privatised, they entered a brave new world. I doubt most enthusiasts realised just how little variety of freight locos they would soon see. In 1998, EWS acquired the first of the class 66 locomotives. Based closely on the class 59 of the 1980s, the Canadian-built 66 has had a mixed reputation. From union complaints to annoyed enthusiasts filling their books with nothing but 66s, the loco has changed the British freight landscape completely. Most classes of freight loco have been relegated to depots or the scrap heap.

However, this model from Bachmann will not be so controversial. With its five-pole motor and all wheel drive/pickup it is a beast to pull even the longest freights. The reviewed model was DCC ready and able to accept a 21-pin chip (8-pin adapter is available). The loco needs lots of power to start but then keeps a good steady speed which is realistic.

The model features two NEM coupling sockets and comes with a dummy buckeye coupling at one end. To use both NEM sockets, modellers will probably have to remove the dummy buckeye as it snags the standard tension lock coupling. The model features directional lights (top and right headlights and the tail lights). Unlike the previous releases, this model allows you to switch off the tail lights while the loco is pulling a train, this replaces the day/night running option.

The cab detail includes a driver and some detailed controls. The paintwork is superb as is the lettering. The livery appears to be very accurate and the little details such as the lamp irons add to the overall model. Brake hoses and other details are included in the box and can be fitted if you wish. The flush glazing is very good, clear and detailed. The bogies are one of my favourite elements; they look very realistic and capture the shear size of the 66.

Overall, this is a very good model with lots of power. It is necessary for any modern-image layout as today a 66 is never far away.

I would give this model 9.5/10, the buckeye coupling needs a rethink.

By the way, I like the prototype, but many don’t.
Follow the Progress on my Layouts - click here.
My Railway Photography - click here.
Chuffer Chuff

Post by Chuffer Chuff »

Well done Metrocamel and Thomas! Your reviews were excellent and very interesting to read! :wink:

I do agree with you about the factory fitted buckeye coupling though, I think it could do with some alterations! :D
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"
PTmodeller

Post by PTmodeller »

Little nitpick- they were ordered in 1997 :wink:

Goo reveiw though, you have added another loco to my new purchase dilemma :?
Class 60

Post by Class 60 »

PTmodeller wrote:Little nitpick- they were ordered in 1997 :wink:
Ordered in 1997 and arrived here in early 1998 :wink:
66001 being the first was sent out on the mainline for testing and trails, around 2 weeks later the rest started coming in to Newport Dock.
all 250 of EWS fleet arrived during 2 years, so by early 2000 the 66 had become the backbone of the EWS fleet.

Anyway, Thomas a great review. Shame about the buckeye couplings but maybe an investment in Kadee couplers will do the trick :wink:

Adam
Chuffer Chuff

Post by Chuffer Chuff »

Adam do you know if there are any plans for EWS to order some class 66/9 low-emission variant locomotives? :wink:
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"