0-6-0 tender loco - which one?

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
muggins

0-6-0 tender loco - which one?

Post by muggins »

If I needed a tender locomotive for a branch line, new or s/h, and the only requirements were

Bachmann
Perfectly happy on first radius curves
Quiet
Very good slow running

which one should I go for?
Bigmet

Re: 0-6-0 tender loco - which one?

Post by Bigmet »

First a caveat: while I think these can all be got to run on first radius they are specified for 2nd radius minimum. You might need to make small adjustments, for example if the plastic detail parts like brake shoes restrict the full side to side movement of the wheelsets that the metal parts permit. The tenders will have to be on a fairly distant setting so they don't foul on the loco on these curves.

I would avoid the J39 as it uses the dated split chassis mechanism. Other than that what's on offer in 0-6-0s from this maker is good mechanically. The GW 2251 class has undersize wheels if that bothers you at all. Personally I think the C class the prettiest of the lot, the 3F, 4F and J11 far more workaday.

And I know it is not what you asked, but Hornby's ex GER J15 'Little Goods' is of very good mechanical design, and even prettier than the C class! There's also an ex LSWR 700 class 'Black Motor' of similar quality. Between these models that's all of the English Midlands and southwards have a suitable 0-6-0 available for the grouping period onwards if you have any regional interest to influence the choice.
muggins

Post by muggins »

That's really useful, Bigmet. Thank you once again :)
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

backing up Bigmets suggestion, the C class from Bachmann or the J15 from Hornby are my two favourite 0-6-0 locos. Both look stunning and i am really happy with the performance of both.
GeoFF03

Post by GeoFF03 »

I would avoid using Bachmanns 4F. Of the 0-6-0s I have, it's the only one that refuses to run on 1st radius (it will actually de-rail). Unlike the others, my example has virtually no side play on the drive wheels. Also watch out for some of the Collett 2251s. One example I own came with small buffers on the front of the tender. These limited the angle it could move through, but they are easily removed which solved the issue. In use they are not very noticeable anyway.
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

Bigmet wrote:I would avoid the J39 as it uses the dated split chassis mechanism.
I does handle tight curves quite well though.
Regards
Rob
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Like GeoFF03.
I would not recommend a Bachmann Collett Goods 2251 class. I have one that will not
run through 1st radius curves without derailing. Shame as it's one of my favourite
0-6-0 tender locos. Funny when you think my Bachmann Jubilee has no problems !!

Really though it needs to be something YOU like, and that we don't know !!

Geoff T.
muggins

Post by muggins »

Thank you gents.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

If you're not too fussy about a bit of filling in under the boiler plus a traction tyre, then Hornby's 4f might be worth considering as it can be had for £57 new at the moment. They run extremely well.
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Again not Bachmann, but Hornby have just announced the re-release of the Q1

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-e ... 99,31Z40,1

by all accounts a nice little model

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
muggins

Post by muggins »

Well, I've gone to the foot of our stairs!

I was in a silly mood yesterday and my lady wife kindly reminded me that I'm only old once, so wtf ... my brand new bargain price Hornby J15 arrived an hour ago.

I'm amazed. This thing is quite remarkable. It is so quiet, it is so smooth and it will run so slowly on DC - and it's not even run in yet! Not only that, despite the warning on the box, it's quite happy chugging round the 1st radius curves on the ends of my hidden loop!

Gosh ...
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Yes, Hornby on good form. The quality of the drive won it a very positive reception when it came out. And it doesn't hurt that the prototype loco is charming in appearance!
muggins

Post by muggins »

Do they use that mechanism on anything else?
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Drummond 700 class.
muggins

Post by muggins »

D605Eagle wrote:Drummond 700 class.
Thank you sir :)

ETA - it seems that the 700s use the same mechanism but without the flywheels. How much difference that might make I have no idea!