2017 Spring Competition - cancelled

Vote and comment on New Railway Modellers Competitions.
Alex3410

2017 Spring Competition - cancelled

Post by Alex3410 »

Hi guys,

With the first 2017 competition out of the way its time to think about the next one, this time around its going to run from 1st April to 31st May. This gives us the rest of this month for prep time (thinking about what to do and gathering resources) and then two months 'build time'.

I want to try a topic for this one however its not going to be enforced so if you have a project you want to do thats not part of the topic please do still take part, it will be interesting to see how it goes (and how many people take part in the topic and how many don't).

The topic is: 'Train set to treasure'

The idea is you take something thats part of a train set and improve on it (inspired by End2end's 4 Wheel Coach project last time around), there is no strict rule on what counts but generally something thats been part of a train set before would be good. It does not actually have to come from a train set however, for example the 4 wheel coach is available on its own and would be perfectly suitable to count as part of the theme.

The rules:
1)Users must post an introduction post showing where they are starting from
2)Users must post a final post at the end (even if its unfinished as its still interesting to see)
3)Users can enter at any point up until the closing date (no extra time given)
4)At the end of the month entrants will post a final post in their threads and PM me to let me know they are done, I will then post here with a list of entries for people to vote on (via PM) before a winner is chosen.

and finally
5)Its just a bit of fun so please remember this

Note: this is run by forum members as a bit of fun and there is no prize
check out the past competitions here

As always please ensure you PM me if your not on the lists and think you should be (I cant keep track of you otherwise).

Thats about it, any questions please do let me know - in the meantime Good Luck! and happy modelling!

Updates:
Alex3410

Re: 2017 Spring Competition

Post by Alex3410 »

List of members taking part:
  • nickbrad -Bachmann Junior into tramway conversion (T)
  • alex3410 -hornby 0-4-0 freelance loco conversion (T)

(T) = entry is 'on topic'
End2end

Post by End2end »

:o WOW.... I'm an inspiration??? :mrgreen:
Well they do say there's a first time for everything! :lol:

I have the Hornby Dunster Station on my layout which I am going to replace with a slightly smaller LINKA made station building (and platforms once the curved versions have been designed and are available for sale) Would this suit the main theme?

My reasoning is that where the station is sited on my layout, the Dunster building is too deep and so is the platform piece they supply with it.
There is only a small gap between the rear platform edge and the retaining walls that will go behind it making the path upto the station too narrow for my liking.
I will need to buy 1 mould straight off the bat as there is one with a certain small window I want to use in various places around the building.
Hopefully my Herculite powder will be strong enough so the window pane lines wont break when removing it from the mould. :?

I have already improved my platform shelter although this only comes with a train set if bought as a package. Also like the 4 wheelers it can be purchased seperatly.

Not sure what else could fit the main theme as most of my rolling stock DEFINATLY does not come in a train set.
Most of mine are limited editions at 40 out of 57 peices of rolling stock I own excluding any loco's. Yes, VERY blooming expensive!! :o

The only other project to be completed at the moment is to add staples to my other/new Bachmann rolling stock for the BK uncoupling method.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

I think to be included it needs to use the 'train set' part rather then replacing it, but while a linka replacement would not count please do feel free to enter it anyway if you don't have another suitable project in mind. ( i have linka moulds in the loft so would follow with interest)

I didn't want to force the topic on everyone as its more important we have as many people enter as possible, i just think the idea would be good to try.

I am undecided between pinching your 4 wheel coach idea from last time, taking a caledonian pug and creating a freelance loco from it, refurbishing smokey joe (my first loco i got for myself ) or refurbishing the 0-4-0 from my first train set.
End2end

Post by End2end »

alex3410 wrote: i have linka moulds in the loft so would follow with interest
Do you want to sell them? :D

As there's time before the comp starts I will look around for anything else that may suit. If not I'll have to go with the station building.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

I was debating it but want to give the system another try before i do
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Alex, I really don't have anything in my stock that is train set related to enter with. I am in the market for an 06 Shunter to repaint and weather for the new Galgorm Hall but that project is some way off.

Depending on when I can get it started, my next project on the Workbench will be the new new signal box for the layout. If that is acceptable under the general competitions I will enter with that. :D

Paul
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

Please do, I don't want to limit the topics I just thought it would be worth trying, if no one / few of us enter a topic related one it will save me thinking of a topic for the next one :lol:

I can't stress enough the driving factor behind it is people taking part so at the end of the day I am happy so long as you enter something :D
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

I would like to submit my 7 track bridge, but I have already started! Next on the list is a signal box with interior and lighting (obviously :D ), kit in stock, could source interior for April start, would that do?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

It wouldn't come under the topic, but more then wecome to still submit it :)
nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

Ok, I am in and I do have a train set related project to use.

Now considering my track record with completing projects, I probably shouldn't put myself forward, but as I already own everything I need, (barring some decals,) I am going to push on an announce a Bachmann Junior into tramway conversion along the lines of the W&U tramway.
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

:D entry list started

I have added a T next to yours as its 'on topic', more so i can quickly see how many entries are.

Now the list is started anyone entering needs to make sure i add them to the list, do this by posting your selected topic clearly (sorry to be so bossy about it i just want to make sure no one gets missed).

I really need to decide on a topic as well! just trying to get projects done before it kicks off - probably should have either waited and used them as the competition entry or delayed them until after, oh well :lol:
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

Added myself to the entry list I am doing a freelance loco based on the Hornby 0-4-0

essentially the plan is to make something interesting out of the 0-4-0 and my scrap box, i am not trying to match it to a prototype just hoping to make something cool.

and yes it was also a subtle way to 'bump' the thread :wink: :lol:
nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

Freelance locos are great, because you are not constrained by prototype details, the world really is your oyster.
Alex3410

Post by Alex3410 »

Just a reminder if you want to take part please let me know