DCC Supplies (Worcester)

What do you want from a model railway shop?
kebang

DCC Supplies (Worcester)

Postby kebang » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:46 am

Does anyone know if this shop is still trading? I ordered (& paid for in full) a OO gauge CMX track cleaning vehicle in Sept 2016. In reply to an email in Jan2017 they said some were arriving at the store by the end of the month. Since then I have heard nothing from them - despite 3 follow up emails.
Today their web-site has a message saying the Worcester store is closed as they have a computer malfunction.
Perusing the web-site I see that they have virtually no stock.
If I were living in the UK I would have taken a trip to their premises, but that's a bit awkward living in Philippines!

b308

Re: DCC Supplies (Worcester)

Postby b308 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:25 am

They seem to have plenty in stock looking at their website... I notice they are on FB and Twitter, try contacting them that way, as it's much more public it may push them into replying!

kebang

Postby kebang » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:41 am

Unfortunately I don't use FB or Twitter
based my assessment of their stock level by carefully checking the loco decoder section.... most non sound decoders appear to be out of stock.

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:31 am

Can you call them?
Regards
Rob

kebang

Postby kebang » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:32 am

I live in the Philippines, international phone calls are very expensive from here. By the time the phone connection is made and they have established who I am and what I ordered thats going to be at least 10.00GBP. If they are indeed closing down that would be throwing good money after bad. I am disappointed with their non response to my emails though, especially as I paid in full 7 months ago.....

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:04 pm

Careful that's how false rumours start... You said in the first message they had computer problems (rather ironic for such a business!), but that's a world away from "closing down"!!! Could the "computer problems" be the cause of the lack of response to your emails perhaps...

kebang

Postby kebang » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:19 pm

It is not a 'rumour' that they have took my cash 7 months ago & have failed to respond to my emails for the past 2 months! They claim the computer problems have only occurred today so that is not a valid reason for their failure to communicate.
I have purchased from them in the past & not had these problems, which is another reason why I am concerned that all may not be well.

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:22 pm

That still doesn't mean that you should say they are closing down, THAT is a rumour, not fact.

I phoned them up just now and they confirm they are very much in business. They got a virus on their computer but it's cleared now.

They said for you to email them again on their email address on the website, info@dccsupplies.com she said she'd look out for it.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:22 pm

Just for info, but it helps understand.
First, if you order via a website you should get various responses generated by their web ordering system, software is fallible, it's written by people.
It is worth remembering that emails are not guaranteed to get through, that's why there's provision for a received acknowledgement. This doesn't mean that the recipient has read the message only that it landed on their box, but it's a start. Most companies send an autoresponse which lets you know that your email has been received which obviates the need to ask for one. At various times domains can be blocked by service providers, if yours is, your ISP should tell you what's happening, but an ISP who lets themselves get blocked, say for not taking down spammers, probably won't be the sort to bother much about their customers.

You place an order on their website, you don't get an email notification.
Send an email, ticking the box for Read Receipt .
Still no response try looking for a contact form on their web site.
Look up their physical address, still no response send letter seeking explanation,
recruit someone closer to them to contact by any means.

A simple explanation of how domain blocking works. If an ISP finds their servers are receiving spam or other unwanted messages from your ISP's domain, the receiving ISP automatically blocks and bounces message from your's. Most ISPs maintain several blocks of addresses. If they find their messages being bounced, they automatically switch their outgoing to a "clean" block of addresses, while they stop the spammer or troll from using their site. Then they negotiate with the site that's blocking them to unblock the addresses, which are then place at the end of the queue of clean addresses waiting for use. A few customers may lose outgoing mail during the switchover.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

kebang

Postby kebang » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:45 pm

I would like to point out that I NEVER said they were closing down. I emailed them and they emailed last year with no problems. It seem reasonable, bearing in mind they have failed to reply to my last 3 emails (sent from my email address to their email address which was working last year) over a period of 2 months, to question if in fact they were still trading.
The best people to ask were the traders themselves, but they were not replying to me. The second option is UK railway modellers who use this forum.

If you look at my first post I did not say say they were closing down, I merely sought information as to if they were still trading or not.

Bufferstop, thanks for the info re ISP, emails, blocking of spammers etc. (I didn't know most of that!), but my order was accepted last year on their website and a couple of emails were exchanged last year re the delay.....

b308, thank you very much for ringing them & establishing the facts. The email address (info@dccsupplies.com ) is the address that I have used every time, last year they replied to me, this year not so much!

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:00 pm

kebang wrote:I would like to point out that I NEVER said they were closing down.

Your choice of words could be better then...

"If they are indeed closing down"

I have given you their response when I phoned them, I suggest you get in touch now as I suggested as I have alerted them to the fact that an email may be coming from the Philippines... Strike while the iron's hot!! :)

kebang

Postby kebang » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:10 pm

'If they are indeed closing down' does not say they are closing down! (But if they were I didn't want to throw good money after bad with expensive international phone calls.)

Thanks again for the enquiries you have made. Another email has been sent to them (Same Address!) ten minutes ago.

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:22 pm

OK we'll agree to differ on that...

Let me know if you get a reply...

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:32 pm

Kebang, please let us know how this turns out and any explanation for the seeming failure of communications. Their website is seemingly all singing - all dancing, but does it make allowance for any failure of the system or its users. In my experience one should not allow our seemingly infallible system to blind us to the fact that it started its life as a dumb machine and any intelligence it now seems to possess is what it has learned from its human, and therefore fallible, users.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:49 pm

Instead of criticising the guy, would it perhaps be best to just keep quite if you've nothing positive to add to this? There must be somebody on here who uses the shop in person who can help. If you really want to help why not phone the shop for him and confirm that all is well?

Return to “Model Railway Shop”