Oxford Rail N7

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
Bigmet

Re: Oxford Rail N7

Post by Bigmet »

I well understand that, particularly when buying 'long distance' with all the faff of returns that involves should their be a fault.

What I will do is have the mechanism of the first one I buy in pieces, just to look at the constructional technique, as I haven't purchased any OR loco for myself, (though I have worked on a Radial to 'disappear the motor' for a friend). What that will show is whether all the technique is sound and proven stuff, and where any component or assembly problems or weaknesses might show up. Obviously it cannot reveal anything like mazak rot or tendency to have split gears, but hey, that's life...
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

I have 4 OR locos and about 2 dozen wagons. I've not had any issues at all with any of them, the locos in particular are very sweet running. I suspect that the issues that have been seen have been overblown somewhat. Hornby for example, I would guess only about 50% of what I buy from them doesn't need major remedial work in the first 12 months or so, might be even worse than that thinking about it. Even Bachmann don't seem to be immune from build quality issues of late, but at least with the few clangers they have dropped they have gone out of their way to fix them for the customer. I can fully understand your caution with OR though Tim, it being not so easy to send stuff back if it's faulty living on the other side of the world.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

N7 now available in photo grey livery. Odd one to get out first.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Yes, and I suspect it will end up discounted so is probably a 'mechanism spare' purchase in time. I think the round top N7/3 in BR black will be the major seller, the Belpaire boilered originals were all reboilered with a proper round top before general withdrawal.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Proper? You've lost me lol
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Circular cross section is how to build a locomotive fire tube boiler. The Belpaire was a silly and expensive aberration away from rationality. Humungous great locos of far greater power output than anything operated in the UK had sensible round top boilers, and the overall count will reveal that globally far more locos were constructed with round top boilers up to the final generation of steam loco development.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Bigmet wrote:Circular cross section is how to build a locomotive fire tube boiler. The Belpaire was a silly and expensive aberration away from rationality. Humungous great locos of far greater power output than anything operated in the UK had sensible round top boilers, and the overall count will reveal that globally far more locos were constructed with round top boilers up to the final generation of steam loco development.
Okay..... :roll:
Reports from the other place seem to be indicating that this is something special. Its mainly made form diecast and is extremely heavy. It has compensation in its front axle so it keeps all its feet on the ground so to speak. One chap who has one says it's whisper quiet. I'm sure looking forwards to one of these! £87 seems such a bargain now too!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Seems to be the picture. Now seen a couple of vids of it running. Smooth down to dead slow. A little gear noise which wasn't enough to mask the sound of the loco's wheels on the rails. The sort of thing that in my opinion will either disappear with running, or some minor tinkering and/or cleaning and relubrication. It would pull a more than adequate passenger train load.

Looks like an N7, runs well, good price, really what's not to like? Hope Oxford get the result that a product like this deserves. Now where are the BR black models?
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Think they are last to be released due to different firebox. I would have thought the sensible thing would have been to do them first.
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

D605Eagle wrote:Think they are last to be released due to different firebox. I would have thought the sensible thing would have been to do them first.
Not necessarily as its probably going to the more popular model - release the GER Grey one first and it get bought by those who must have the new release first regardless of what version it is.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

I managed to take a couple of phone shots of the new N7 at the club the other night. Apart from its weight - which is considerable - the French Grey livery was also impressive. A really beautiful model. And at its discounted sub-£90 price tag, very good value.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Hopefully this model will prove a real hit for Oxford. The job's a goodun overall and there's no direct competition, (not now, not ever!) with just minor stuff to do for those who want to adjust things. Reports of its running have been very positive, and apparently it will pull the side out of a house thanks to lots of weight within. It's a good all rounder in utility, a small mixed traffic loco suitable for inner suburban passenger, and passenger and freight on branchlines; of which the GER lines had a plenitude, and the GNR lines proved to have too few suitable locos for the job. Thus in LNER operation and onward to the end of steam, a GER design allocated specifically to GNR territory branch line operations.

(Declaration of bias. From my POV it is a 'really useful engine'. In the location I model during both LNER and BR operation these ran alongside the Gresley N2 'Big Metropolitan tank' or 'Big met' designed for the KX inner suburban work. The N7s were intended to handle the plentiful branchline work from Hatfield. The GNR men titled the N7 'Swedey Met' from their old nickname for the GER, 'The Swedey' the reference being to the plentiful agricultural traffic that the GER had to work - for very little financial return due to the seasonality.)
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

And Oxford now say the LNER and BR versions are soon to hit the retailer's shelves. Given that it is this model or the J70 representing the 'newly tooled never previously available RTR LNER group locos likely to appear in 2019 section', the BR version will have to be a terminal clunker to fail to win my personal loco of the year accolade.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

And I have purchased the new release in unlined LNER black. Very good all around in my opinion, looks and measures as it should, runs beautifully, pulls very well, simple decoder installation, good construction, what's not to like?

Well, the overly protruding NEM coupler pockets would be my one real criticism, the designer could have done better at the front in particular. Cropping the pocket and coupler tails very short fixes this, mine as a passenger loco now has 'well trimmed' no17 Kadees in the right position relative to the buffers.

Really looking forward to the N7/3, whenever they choose to put that on sale. That's 'the one' that saw out steam suburban and branch operations at my chosen location.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Bigmet wrote:What I will do is have the mechanism of the first one I buy in pieces, just to look at the constructional technique, as I haven't purchased any OR loco for myself... What that will show is whether all the technique is sound and proven stuff, and where any component or assembly problems or weaknesses might show up. Obviously it cannot reveal anything like mazak rot or tendency to have split gears, but hey, that's life...
So, have completed the running time I always allocate before mucking about with a model, and am well pleased with it. The slight gear noise that was present when running fast has now gone, you only hear the wheels on the rails. Lovely smooth runner altogether, with very reliable pick up thanks to the movement provided in the leading coupled axle.

Had the mechanism apart, and there's nothing of real concern there. I will reassess after a couple of years operation to see how the spring that bears directly on the front axle is doing. It was all very neatly greased in the gear train - nice to see that - just enough, no great excess. The keeper plate with the pick up wipers mounted on it is a bit awkward to reinstall, because you are 'fighting' the pick up wipers to get it relocated; however with patience all is well. It has sprung plungers bearing onto the wiper strips to make the connection to the socket. I am reserving judgement on these already on Hornby models, but so far so good! (Replacement with soldered on wires is an easy fix should any ever prove troublesome.) My assessment overall, proven technique and a neat assembly, the right stuff.