Oxford Rail N7

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
D605Eagle

Oxford Rail N7

Post by D605Eagle »

This should be to Bigmets liking, an RTR LNER N7 for Oxford. Going by how the second release of the adams addressed some of the first releases issues, it should be a fairly good model at the least. Time will tell though.
Bigmet

Re: Oxford Rail N7

Post by Bigmet »

Good subject choice, and a very welcome small engine; the dry side can use a lot more of the smaller locomotives to supplement the RTR 'big engine' fleet. I would hope it has broad appeal for all those interested in the Southern end of the LNER and BR(ER), because they went well beyond the London suburban services out iof Liverpool Street and Kings Cross, working along branchlines of the former GER and GNR.

Dare we hope there is 'less to get wrong' on this subject too? Fairly simple shape but will need some research to build the parts of the class correctly. Oxford presumably will have thoughts of the 'eye candy' liveries too, there's the GER blue at both ends of the class' service history, provided Oxford are doing the later round top boilers as well.

Whatever, my two old whitemetal kits are going to have some company I expect.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

They did some fairly detailed differences on the single and double slide rod Adams Radials, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do the different versions you mentioned. We need to see how their Dean Goods measures up when it gets released to see how things are going accuracy wise.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

The first of the Dean Goods releases are onboard ship apparently, expected to be on sale by the end of June; so not long to wait for the weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Regarding the N7 - and its variant parts - the signs out of OR are encouraging. They appreciate what the differences are, which is the essential first step to designing a model which encompasses those differences.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Bigmet wrote:The first of the Dean Goods releases are onboard ship apparently, expected to be on sale by the end of June; so not long to wait for the weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Oh, that's already started somewhere else, big time. Usual suspect. No manufacturer ever gets these things completely right but Oxford has certainly come in for far more than its fair share of criticism. A personal agenda me thinks....

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Tony, I can't imagine to who you refer, but one vociferous counter of rivets has just discovered that his ban from this site is permanent!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Lysander wrote:... No manufacturer ever gets these things completely right but Oxford has certainly come in for far more than its fair share of criticism...
I do feel that there needs to be some compensation for the 'learning curve' in doing something new. Oxford may have experience in diecast models of road vehicles; but these are an order of magnitude less complex to produce than model railway product, so don't provide much of a start.

I look at the first of Bachmann's blue riband products and the slightly later early efforts of Hornby in China, then Heljan's first go at OO, as fair comparators. Bachmann managed a notable inaccuracy (the GWR 2251 0-6-0 is all over the place because of incorrect driving wheel diameter) overly complex constructions (BR Std 4MTT a good example) and mispositioned coupler pockets on rolling stock, before hitting their stride. Hornby started out with some inaccuracies (smokebox door on the MN, incorrect body shape on the Brush type 2, majorly incorrect Gresley gangwayed coaches) and a weak construction motor mount in steam models which still troubles productions of some of the earlier introductions, most notably the T9. Then Heljan who began with the 'tubby Duff' - 2mm over width - with resulting significant impact on its appearance. (Much as I liked the drive, the faulty appearance meant no purchase from me, and the same applied to Hornby's Brush 2.)

It isn't easy getting a working scale model right all around: looking right, measuring up correctly and integrating properly with other scale models, running reliably ,and with robust enough construction to give long working life. The Oxford Adams Radial tank isn't a bad model. Twenty years ago it would have been the best RTR OO loco on the market, and even now after much progress outpaces a lot of other currently manufactured RTR. I'd give them a tick for that one, considered as the first attempt. Having refined their art on another minor subject they should be fully equipped for their first important loco model, the N7... (I allow myself a little partisanship.)

The fourth of Oxford's wagons, the LNER six plank, is decently correct, after the errors that spattered their first three. It has a fault in the brake gear, but nothing worse than what Bachmann have done pretty regularly on their BR 16T mineral brake gear, and it is easily corrected if the purchaser is aware of it. Hopefully this model marks the point where in wagons they are now 'performing'.

Where Oxford are being brave, knowingly or not, is with the mk3s. The D&E modeller group has a vociferous contingent who aren't exactly known for their charm and manners...
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Bufferstop wrote:Tony, I can't imagine to who you refer, but one vociferous counter of rivets has just discovered that his ban from this site is permanent!

:lol:

Tony
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I wonder when we get to see this model now? With Oxford Rail's owner now Hornby's CEO one can imagine all sorts of scenarios.

It was already noticeable before he took the Hornby job that the communication rate from Oxford Rail was down, and the previous 'rapid progress to on-sale once an announcement has been made' intention was not really happening. (I feel there's a story here, that we maybe will have to wait a decade or two, before it goes into general circulation.)
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Bigmet wrote:I wonder when we get to see this model now? With Oxford Rail's owner now Hornby's CEO one can imagine all sorts of scenarios.

It was already noticeable before he took the Hornby job that the communication rate from Oxford Rail was down, and the previous 'rapid progress to on-sale once an announcement has been made' intention was not really happening. (I feel there's a story here, that we maybe will have to wait a decade or two, before it goes into general circulation.)
How long is it since the Dean goods was released and still only in one livery? I hope the N7 doesn't fall by the wayside and Oxford Rail disappear into Hornby.
trainlover23

Post by trainlover23 »

D605Eagle wrote:
Bigmet wrote:I wonder when we get to see this model now? With Oxford Rail's owner now Hornby's CEO one can imagine all sorts of scenarios.

How long is it since the Dean goods was released and still only in one livery? I hope the N7 doesn't fall by the wayside and Oxford Rail disappear into Hornby.

The BR black one is now out so that makes TWO
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

And the all-green GWR version is on the boat....

Tony
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

D605Eagle wrote: How long is it since the Dean goods was released and still only in one livery? I hope the N7 doesn't fall by the wayside and Oxford Rail disappear into Hornby.
I have come to suspect that Oxford Rail was a stalking horse, and having achieved its initial objective will - if Lyndon Davies is satisfied that he can turn Hornby around - in time be 'folded into' the model railway operation of Hornby. Just my guess, no evidence other than the visible public events that have occurred, other interpretations of these events are fully possible.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

That could well be true. I guess we'll never know though
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

An unpainted sample (presumably an EP) of the N7 was on show at the London toyfair, an assembled Belpaire boiler loco, and the infinitely more desireable round top boiler piece shown, for the Gresley developed versions of the class. Taking the overall dimensions on trust, it looks like an N7, and it is as least as good for appearance as the better of my two ancient kitbuilt N7s. Photographs on this link:

https://albionyard.wordpress.com/2018/0 ... fair-2018/

It's an essential class for my KX suburban operation, so rather looking forward to these going on sale. Despite the charms of the Stirling single from the NRM Locomotion / Rapido, provided the N7 has no major deficiency this is shaping up to be my 'model of the year' candidate for 2018; just such a useful loco, another of the small black engines that the Eastern is so short of...