2-2-Toot Scenic Adventure

Vote and comment on New Railway Modellers Competitions.
nickbrad

Re: 2-2-Toot Scenic Adventure

Post by nickbrad »

Construction has begun!

The Celotex has been cut down to the required width,

then carving for the riverbank. My jigsaw has given up the ghost so hand sawing some old laminate flooring for the surround is an arduous task, hence I have only done one piece so far.

I shall be ordering some 6mm blue foam on tuesday for further scenery work, plus picking up a length of wooden sleepered flexi from B&H Models after work.
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

What are the dimensions of your piece Nickbrad and have you a plan in mind or are you taking the 'make it up as you go along' approach? :lol:

Paul
nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

34 x 16 inches for a grand total of 544 inches square :)

There is a loose plan, but I need to puul out my books before cementing the scenics in my mind.
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Now we're moving. Anyone else getting involved?

Paul
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Hah ! 'ACAB' - haven't seen that for a while. You may have to explain that to younger members !

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
End2end

Post by End2end »

Dave wrote:ACAB - Anti Police slogan that was often seen as graffiti in the 1970s
Surely you don't mean "All Calls Answered Begrudgingly" :lol:
Great weathering on those Dave. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

I would love to enter, but work and the other competition use up my time (frequently work away from home), but the other comp finishes in feb, so may start late and catch up. It would need to be more than just a diorama, but could be a section I could slip into my final generic layout. I am thinking of a very deep cutting for a canal with a bridge over both canal and a road mid way up. I might work up some CAD sketches first, then at least I will have a design to work to once I start.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
VerdevaleRailway

Post by VerdevaleRailway »

Hooray, I'm off!!!!

Inglenooks need uncoupling mechanisms or the hand of God. This one is devised by V.R. R. & D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98Rv7Kz5fzc

I'll post photos of the bits when I do it again. I spent so much time faffing around getting it to work. I thought a click pen could do the job. And it does.
'whose origin was a terminus'
nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

My sheets of 6mm blue foam have arrived, so I have cut out the 34 x 16 inch base and am in the process of sticking it to the 50mm celotex foam, but it seems the no nails stuff isn't doing the job, despite roughing up the surfaces beforehand. It's currently sat under the pressure of tins and jars of food, we'll have to see what happens in an hour or 2. If it hasn't secured by then, I may have to look for an alternative idea.
nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

The two foams have successfully mated, but today was all about being dragged around town buying birthday presents for my eldest daughter, so no more progress has been made beyond that.

The next challenge will be to decide upon and implement a front and side retaining "wall" for the river, I don't know whether to stick with the cut down laminate flooring plan or something else. As always, I am very budget conscious.
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

As it currently stands we three seem to be at similar stages. As for V.R. it's anyone's guess where he's at! :lol:

Paul
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Nothing to report with my diorama other than frustration. I'm trying to produce the bridge to span the canal and have the image logged in my head as to what I want. Can I convert that to a 3D representation? Can I heck! For three nights I have cut, glued, trimmed and discarded in an effort to produce a workable model. Tonight, I may have cracked it though. Before bodging another attempt I put the tools away to give time for thought and will come back to it tomorrow again.

It may not be modelling but I'm trying. :D

Paul
VerdevaleRailway

Post by VerdevaleRailway »

carnehan wrote: For three nights I have cut, glued, trimmed and discarded in an effort to produce a workable model. Tonight, I may have cracked it though. Before bodging another attempt I put the tools away to give time for thought and will come back to it tomorrow again.

It may not be modelling but I'm trying. :D

Paul
Well done! I just checked my dates, and it took me a month to make a bridge, and get it painted. I can report that I have only accomplished the uncoupler. And the next few days are earmarked for clearing the decks before starting my scenic trip. Better order a electrik whizz bang standy up grass thing from a noble manufacturers in PRC.....

:) V.R.
'whose origin was a terminus'
End2end

Post by End2end »

VerdevaleRailway wrote:Better order a electrik whizz bang standy up grass thing from a noble manufacturers in PRC.....
Or make your own?
I used a £land electrical fly swatter and small seive to make mine. Total cost around £3. The commercial offerings are far too much money for the ease of which one can make them yourself and I'm rubbish at all this "make it yourself" lark. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

I bought the 'Fly Killer' made up on Ebay many years ago (£6.96, so no brainer), but never got round to using it!
I have since done much research on the subject and glean its all about voltage, the fly swatter's develops 1,000v, some of the proper ones are 9,000 to 12,000v and the top models are 18,000 to 24,000v! I contemplated making my own high voltage version, but ended up with a Greene-scene 'Flockit'. (15,000v)
As per the "in person" demo I saw at an exhibition, at home its brilliant. :D
However, seeing this thread, I dug out my fly swatter (for the first time) and gave it a whirl, making two samples with the two devices.
I will post pics of the samples later when they are dry.

The revelation, is that there is little to choose between the results! Both perform well!
The fly swatter may not be quite as thick in coverage, but its hardly noticeable.
My research and this test, leads me to believe that the higher the voltage, does not effect the result, it does however go down quicker over a larger area.
My advice is to go cheap, for the average hobbyist!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!