2-2-Toot Scenic Adventure

Vote and comment on New Railway Modellers Competitions.
VerdevaleRailway

Re: 2-2-Toot Scenic Adventure

Post by VerdevaleRailway »

Ok, due to the encouragement of others as well as an inbuilt need to play with fire dismantling electrical items , arriving shortly for $7.54 with free postage from Darwin is the

"Electric-Practical-Insect-Bug-Fly-Mosquito-Zapper-Swatter-Killer-Racket-new-OK' (ah, you gotta love an all encompassing eBay listing)

in red, cos it was 27 cents cheaper than the blue, I kid you not :?

TimberSurf wrote:I bought the 'Fly Killer' made up on Ebay many years ago (£6.96, so no brainer), but never got round to using it!
I have since done much research on the subject and glean its all about voltage, the fly swatter's develops 1,000v, some of the proper ones are 9,000 to 12,000v and the top models are 18,000 to 24,000v! I contemplated making my own high voltage version, but ended up with a Greene-scene 'Flockit'. (15,000v)
As per the "in person" demo I saw at an exhibition, at home its brilliant. :D
However, seeing this thread, I dug out my fly swatter (for the first time) and gave it a whirl, making two samples with the two devices.
I will post pics of the samples later when they are dry.

The revelation, is that there is little to choose between the results! Both perform well!
The fly swatter may not be quite as thick in coverage, but its hardly noticeable.
My research and this test, leads me to believe that the higher the voltage, does not effect the result, it does however go down quicker over a larger area.
My advice is to go cheap, for the average hobbyist!
Wow, thanks for that TimberSurf,

Just to clarify, by 1000v, you mean mv?

and yes I've gone cheap cos i'm a very average hobbyist!!!
'whose origin was a terminus'
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

No, I mean 1,000 volts! (four times the mains voltage)
You will get a serious jolt from the mesh, if you touch it while depressing the button! You have been warned!
But its only a few micro amps, so it wont kill you. :wink: (Just like a static shock off the car etc.) If you hold the crocodile clip near the mesh with a tiny gap, sparks will fly across :twisted:
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
Brooker

Post by Brooker »

I'm looking forward to seeing photos of these DIY applicators - It's something I've been thinking about for a while - and I like playing with electrickery
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

TimberSurf wrote: However, seeing this thread, I dug out my fly swatter (for the first time) and gave it a whirl, making two samples with the two devices.
I will post pics of the samples later when they are dry.
here they are
'Fly Killer' sieve 4mm straw.jpg
'Fly Killer' sieve 4mm straw.jpg (105.21 KiB) Viewed 2602 times
Greene-Sceene Flockit 4mm straw.jpg
Greene-Sceene Flockit 4mm straw.jpg (100.68 KiB) Viewed 2602 times
The £80 Flockit is a little thicker and stands up a little better
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
Buggleskelly

Post by Buggleskelly »

Both samples look good. They look like a wheat field before and after a heavy downpour.
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Dave, looking at your two examples I would say both do what they are intended but the flock-it one is maybe just a little more even in its distribution. I have a home made fly swat one I must dig out and experiment with before application begins in my diorama.

Paul
nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

That blockwork is looking very good, progress has halted for me for now, but will resume soon, once I have finished deciding how to box in the front for the river. Plus I am doing work on the other competition entry, which I have most of what I need to complete, apart from actually getting on and doing it.
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Looking good Dave.

Bridge building is well under way now. I said in my original blurb I'd be using foamboard to create stonework but I have changed my mind. After an evening of trying to use it I scrapped the lot in of my preferred brick plasticard and mount board. :D

I'm making a girder bridge structure to sit upon a brick support with abutments holding back the railway embankment. Here's a view before work got going in the girder sections of the bridge.
IMG_3820.JPG
IMG_3820.JPG (69.86 KiB) Viewed 2558 times
The girder bridge is being made from .5 plain plasticard, sandwiched together where necessary. I wanted a little variation on the normal so have given the three centre girders a deeper drop with angled plates joining the outside girders. One thing I'm not sure about is whether to put some cross supports to the centre girder, I'm swaying towards leaving it only because it is barely visible when in position.

Anyway, here's the current state of play.
IMG_3818.JPG
IMG_3818.JPG (77.4 KiB) Viewed 2558 times
IMG_3819.JPG
IMG_3819.JPG (53.93 KiB) Viewed 2558 times
Next up is to put the upright struts on the outer plates and fit the handrails to the upper side and then look to cladding the bridge supports in plasticard.

Paul
carnehan

Post by carnehan »

Bridge work continues. The ironwork is now complete with girder supports added and the railings too. Railings were made using 2mm square plastruct with 1mm holes drilled in each and then I threaded strips of florist wire through them to represent the handrails.
IMG_3826.JPG
IMG_3826.JPG (56.79 KiB) Viewed 2545 times
Next, I'll prime and paint prior to weathering.

Paul
End2end

Post by End2end »

That's looking really good carnehan. :)
Reminds me of many a canal walk I've taken.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Brooker

Post by Brooker »

That bridge looks great. Looking forward to seeing the painted version.
I love these threads!!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Brooker wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing photos of these DIY applicators - It's something I've been thinking about for a while - and I like playing with electrickery
I'll take a picture of my £2 version. Both bits came from the Poundshop, fly swat and a pack of three strainers. Total time to build less than 15 minutes. What does it look like, the handle of a fly swat with a tea strainer sticking out. Works ok if not quite as quick as the ready made ones.
Still have two alternative size strainers.

Picture in post on next page.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

It's the speed that these things get thrown together that staggers me. Nice work.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

That reminds me of my daughter; '...I am an independent woman...' she says, before tapping me up for a hundred quid or so!

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

The Static Grasser
As promised, here's the finished article, with croc clip and pin for connecting to glued surface
Grasser.jpg
Grasser.jpg (50.98 KiB) Viewed 2558 times
This is it with the lid off, showing the cut and bent handle of the sieve (strainer) with one wire connected, plus the other wire extended and fed out through the battery compartment end. Original batteries still going strong about 5 years on. Hardest job was cutting and bending the wire handle of the sieve. Heaven knows what wire it's made from.
inside.jpg
inside.jpg (116.29 KiB) Viewed 2558 times
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions